1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

torrent questions

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by I_Am_High, Apr 2, 2005.

1. I_Am_High

I_Am_High Member

I use Azureus to download and i'm still kinda new to the whole thing. I have a few questions about different issues though. I use peer guardian while downloading but it slows my computer down more than i think it should. What other programs are out there that are a good alternative? Also, i've been reading about security and it sounds like a firewall is a good idea. Is zone alarm good enough or would someone like to recommend something better? Is a peer guardian type program and a firewall good enough protection or do I need more? I've been reading alot about security while downloading and I understand there is nothing 100% secure, just wondering what the experts have. Finally, I was wondering if regestering with a tracker is a good idea. I generally don't download music, but rather MUCH larger files. This is a pain in the ass 'cause it's always more leechers than seeders. I noticed that people who are registered with some trackers get to download the files i want with fewer leechers than seeders. I ask this question because I have yet to be dazzled by the speed of downloading with these clients.

2. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Use sites such as TorrentBytes, EliteTorrents etc. They require registration but they are as fast as your internet connection can go. =D

Instead of PeerGuardian, use PeerGuardian 2, enable while downloading, disable while surfing the web.

If you get a firewall you will need to open ports. Personally I've had no problems without PG2 and firewall, but I enable PG2 from time to time.

3. I_Am_High

I_Am_High Member

I am using PG2, sorry about the confusion. I thought you had to open ports either way. I allready opened them in my router and in windows xp.