1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Torrent Tracker Question

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by nin514, Mar 26, 2005.

1. nin514

nin514 Guest

Hello guys, I'm new here and I've just recently gotten into bittorrent. I've read several faq quides and walkthroughs and I've pretty much learned about everything I need, except one thing: Trackers.

I'm using Bit Comet and Bit Tornado. Sometimes when I try to start a torrent it won't start because of the tracker. It says that there's no response from the tracker. Does this mean that I'm pretty much screwed and won't be able to download this file or is there a way to change the tracker for a torrent?

The main tracker I'm having a problem with is Loki. I understand that Lokitorrent has been shut down, so what happens to all the torrents that were on that tracker?

I'm sorry to sound like a complete idiot, I just can't find much info on trackers and how they work. Thanks to anyone that can help.

2. Weycraze

Weycraze Regular member

Hi, nin514

... A tracker..

A BitTorrent tracker centrally coordinates the P2P transfer of files among users. BitTorrent trackers are software server "toolkit" applications that typically run on Web sites. BNBT and CBTT are names of common BitTorrent tracker toolkits.
    Tracker software serves up torrent files for download from a Web site. The tracker maintains information about all BitTorrent clients utilizing each torrent. Specifically, the tracker identifies the network location of each client either uploading or downloading the P2P file associated with a torrent. It also tracks which fragment(s) of that file each client possesses, to assist in efficient data sharing between clients.
    BitTorrent clients connect to a tracker when attempting to work with torrent files.

The tracker notifies the client of the P2P file location (that is normally on a different, remote server). If the BitTorrent tracker fails or is taken offline, clients will be unable to continue sharing those P2P files.

That should answer your questions.

And, no you do not sound like a complete idiot.

That was a very smart question.

See ya round

3. nin514

nin514 Guest

Thanks for the info, Weycraze. That info is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks!

4. Weycraze

Weycraze Regular member

No Prob!!