1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-C2612

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by Budz, Aug 26, 2004.

1. mabeken

mabeken Member

I am still having to uninstall my DVD, reboot, remove the drive. reboot and when the "new" hardware is detected, and the driver is installed reboot again.
    I downloaded new drivers from the Dell site, but the really stupid thing is that when you unpack this file, you get a boot disk and you have to take the DVD out of the notebook to boot off the floppy and then the software doesn't find the DVD.
    Talk about going around in circles. How can I update the driver for the DVD

Thanks

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

mabeken copy driver onto hd in a folder, put dvd back in then you'll be able to acess driver & dvd at same time & not switch drives. but i think you have a warranty issue not software as you keep losing dvd when ever you move it. how old is laptop & is it still under warranty

3. mabeken

mabeken Member

The DVD came with the notebook and it about 18 months old I think. I have already had the motherboard and CPU replaced. I asked the engineer who did it if he thought it could be the cause of the DVD problems too. He didn't think so, but I will check again. Thanks

4. ddp

mabeken, do you lose the floppy drive when installed & moved or just the dvd

5. mabeken

mabeken Member

I have two bays on the front of the notebook :- One for the battery and the other is for the DVD or the floppy. I have a cable to connect the floppy drive via the parallel port while the DVD is in the bay. I haven't used this cable.

6. ddp

mabeken, try floppy in place of dvd to see if xp sees floppy after been moved around. trying to eliminate different possibilities

7. Jaxwrites

Jaxwrites Member

hi all, well wonders never cease, HP apparently changed the machine between the time they bought one to the next and our guy didn't check! They are now looking into it to see what can be done.

Man and they are in charge of our network.

8. ddp

& you wonder why i don't like hp burners

9. mabeken

mabeken Member

I have tried replacing the DVD with the floppy drive and that works fine. When I have the DVD in the notebook, it is seen in the Windows Explorer, D:\ DVD Drive. But when I put a CD or DVD in, it starts to spin up, and after 5 seconds, stops and I get the message, "No CD found in the drive".
    I have found a new version of the firmware on the Dell site and have upgraded it. It seems to be OK, expect I haven't put my notebook into its bag, and driven it anywhere. I will do tomorrow when I go to the office and that will be the final test.
    I was looking for the latest drivers, but they are not easy to find. You don't have them by any chance?

10. ddp

mabeken, what is name & model # of your dell? laptop & i'll see if i can find

11. mabeken

mabeken Member

Hi DDp, thanks for the help. I have a Dell Inspiron 4150. About 18 months old, running XP SP1. BIOS A5

12. ddp

13. muisloh

muisloh Member

hi all, i have the problem in my Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-C2612, it can use to play cd and vcd, but when i put in DVD9, it cannot detect the cd at all, can u help me? thank you~

14. ddp

what can & cannot play in your dvd

15. muisloh

muisloh Member

i had experienced one time, and only one time my TOSHIBA DVD rom can play the DVD movie, after that it cannot detect any DVD that i put in.so i can only play VCD and CD now. is it because of the type of the DVD? the one success to play in my DVD rom was not a DVD 9, and after that i use DVD 9 to put in, it cannot be detected by my laptop until now.

16. mabeken

mabeken Member

I updated the firmware of my DVD and it makes no difference. When I move my notebook around - like bounce it around in my car, then I have to remove it, reinstall it and redo drivers before it works. I am out of ideas

17. ddp

mabeken, i think you have a connector problem inside laptop between dvd & laptop itself but more than likely the dvd as you don't have that problem with floppy drive. check the contacts on the dvd drive that connects to the laptop & see if one of contacts or more is pressed in further than the others. describe the contacts of both dvdrom & laptop

18. iroteaser

iroteaser Member

hey Budz i am having the same problem ! did u find the solution? when i tried with original dvd's its works sometimes but with copied dvd's it just doesnt read. the amber light keeps going on but nothing see,s to happen and when i try to open it manually it gives that error that windoes cannot read from the dick. Please help

19. mabeken

mabeken Member

Things seem to be OK now. Twice on the run, I have taken the PC out of the bag, and once I had rebooted, the dvd worked fine. Twice! I am not sure what I did. Firmware update, never did find a new driver, but hey. Will keep looking

20. ddp

mabeken, hopes it stays that way, cross your fingers.
    iroteaser have you tried cleaning the drive with a cd/dvd lens cleaner