1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba SD-M1712 causes serious issues when on same IDE cable with recorder

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by gdp77, Aug 18, 2003.

1. gdp77

gdp77 Member

This took me hours and hours of testing in order to understand what was going wrong, so here we go:

Nforce 2 chipeset (Asus A7N8X)

Channel 0
    ---------------
    Master: HDD IBM DTLA-307030 (Ultra DMA 5)

Channel 1
    ----------------
    Master: Teac CDRW CD-W522E (52x24x52x , just bought it)
    Slave: Toshiba DVD ROM 16x48x

Now take a look of my burners write transfer rate tested with nero cd speed

[​IMG]

Is this normal? I don't think so. So I started making hundreds and hundreds of test until I did this:

channel 0
    ------------
    Master: HDD
    Slave: DVD-ROM

Channel 1
    ---------------
    Master : CD-RW (alone)

Now my write transfer test looks like this:

[​IMG]

Strange?? Well and now take a look what happens when I completely remove my toshiba DVD-ROM and have

Channel 0:HDD alone
    Channel 1:CD-RW alone

[​IMG]

wtf is going on?????
    Is this a hardware or software or what issue? UDMA is on for all devices, 80 pin cables used and windows configuration is optimal.

Anyone out there that has the same hardware and same problems?

Please all of u with the same DVD-ROM do a write transfer test with the nero cd speed. It wont burn a cd (it is a simulation) and it will only take u a couple of minutes.

Thanks in advance.

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

All your tests are fine. The juttery bits are just slight re-reads. the second screen dump shows it levelling out and the 3rd looks ok. As long as the juttery bits dont go up and down to much like a richtor scale, and it doesnt dive right to the buttom, you're ok

3. gdp77

gdp77 Member

No, the tests are not fine.
    It's a write transfer rate tests? There is no read. only writing.

The thing is that Toshiba support actually told me to exchange the drive and get a new one, so they recognize there is a problem. BUT, when I posted the issue in a greek forum (I live in Greece) it turns out that all the people who have this drive have the exact same problem! So exchanging the drive won't solve my problem, I'll simply get a new one with the same problem. SO I was wondering if anyone who lives outside Greece has the same problem with the same device.

Anyone with Toshiba SD-M1712?

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

A write transfer test on a DVD you had already written?

5. gdp77

gdp77 Member

What I am telling here is that toshiba causes problem in the speed stability of the recorder. So, it is a WRITE TRANSFER RATE test at the recorder, using blank disks. The test utility is the Nero Cd Speed.

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

As i said before, the second image does look pretty strange but i dont see a problem with the first or third. Here are test done on discs that are burnt. These are Write transfer tests:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All of them were discs that played fine!

7. gdp77

gdp77 Member

What I am trying to say here is that when my CD recorder is alone in the IDE channel or with another cd-rom or dvd-rom, it works like this:

[​IMG]

When I connect on the same ide channel the Toshiba SD-M1712, it works, but during writting there are all these spikes that u can see at the first picture at my first post. What I am saying is that these spikes souldn't be there. Yes, the disks are being burnt with no errors, but that doesn't mean that the spikes should be there. Now, dvd-rw are another story. Some of them work with spikes. This is normal. But, my recorder during normal operation works with a straight line like the pic I posted and not with spikes.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2003