1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba SD290EKB, USB Playback, Faulty Player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by rogue20, Jan 22, 2010.

1. rogue20

rogue20 Regular member

Hi, I purchased a cheap Toshiba SD290EKB to try USB playback to save encoding to dvd, most files play ok but are inferior to the same file encoded to dvd, others seem to suffer from very bad jaggies and poor picture even though they are of the same resolution and quality.

If I purchased a more expensive dvd player with USB support, I'm thinking of Sony's DVPNS728HB DVD Player, would this be better at playing video via the USB port. I'm not sure if my player is faulty or not as it can start making very loud whirring noises when playing dvd's, and the picture quality via USB can vary so much.

Just looking for a good quality quiet upscaling dvd player with good USB play back, thanks.

2. JVC

JVC Active member

I couldn't find your model number on Toshiba's site.
    Are you sure it's supposed to even play video over the USB? Most USB connections on dvd players is for a small thumb drive with pictures, and possibly firmware update. I know there's some out there that play video that way, but you said it was a cheap player, and I wouldn't think a real cheap player would have that feature. I could be wrong though.......

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  3. rogue20

rogue20 Regular member

Hi, yes it is meant to play video via USB and data disks, it plays avi, DivX etc, here's a link to amazon.co.uk, if you read some reviews and comments people have given it good reviews:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-SD2...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264208391&sr=8-1

Just don't understand why mine plays some very badly and jaggy even though they are of the same quality in resolution and bitrate etc.

When playing dvd's though it can sometimes start making terrible noises, so it's got to be changed or sent back to Toshiba to be checked. The real shock is that this cheap little player comes with component output and progressive scan, and plays at 576p, pity it's of very poor construction.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010