1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Total Newbie here! Need some detailed help!

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by LDiablo77, Jul 7, 2003.

1. LDiablo77

LDiablo77 Member

Hi!

I have the sony dcr-trv22 ntsc mini dv cam. I downloaded virtualdub and adobe premiere 6.5. I love using the programs and am learning the editing fairly quickly.

My problem is this. Video extraction. I have read a number of threads with people saying the same thing, but the responses werent helpful.

When watching the video on the LCD or on my HIGHDEFINITION TV the quality is GREAT!! DVD QUALITY and clear! When I extract the video it just plain sucks. plain and simple. This is supposed to be a digital cam. and it looks horrible.

Here is what i have done about it. In premiere and virtual dub I have set the hightest setting for quality. I eventually want to author dvds so i dont care about how big the files are. I want that same clairty as if i was watching it straight off the tape. I got it to come out pretty clear but when you play it back in windows media player or anything esle you have to set the resolution VERY SMALL to get it to be crisp and clear and with ebough frames per sec to where it doesnt look jumpy.

Obviously the problem is this: The compression it too high. The software is compressing it to AVI and then it is up to you to change it to divx or mpeg. even in the software when you set everything to the best quality it looks like crap compared to watching it off the tape!

can anyone help me with this. how can i extract the video to be high resolution and low compression? I dont want little grainny internet movies i want crystal clear footage! This is digital and im really really pissd that i spent 700 dollars on a format that is suposed to be supreme but is really crap! HELP!!!!!1

2. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

AVI is an uncompressed format. I'm not sure where virtualdub comes into your equation.

Prmiere is quite capable of export high quality video on it's own.

You say "WHEN I EXTRACT THE VIDEO"

The normal term for this is "export the video"

Now there are loads of different formats that the video can be exported to.

So, the question is, what are you exporting, and what values are you using.

HomerJ