1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Total noob to the DS (I own a PSP)- does the DS (or slim) have custom firmware like the PSP?

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by chaosnova, Dec 5, 2007.

1. chaosnova

chaosnova Guest

Basically the title.

I've been thinking of buying a DS from my friend, but I really want one if I can get a custom firmware similar to that of the PSP (like 3.40 OE-A). Has anyone invented that kind of a thing for the DS (particularly so that one can play free games)?

Appreciate the help, and yes, I did use the search button, but to no avail :(.

2. juniR

juniR Guest

nowt like the PSP - I have a psp and the DS has a simpler setup - buy a cart and load it up with games haha. R4DS with 2Gb micro SD for about 40ish quid total and you will get 40 to 50 games on it.

3. juniR

juniR Guest

Oh and 3.40 is old these days ;)

4. chaosnova

chaosnova Guest

Woah, but you still get free games? Thanks for the response, but do you mind elaborating (expanding) on the topic?

1.) Do you buy 1 cartrige and then DOWNLOAD the DS games off of the internet?

2.) After you DOWNLOAD them, what do you do?

3.) Where can I update or buy the stuff needed for the above.

4.) I know the 3.40 isn't the latest lol... I just haven't had any problems with it, so I see no need to update and possibly cause more problems.

" R4DS with 2Gb micro SD for about 40ish quid total and you will get 40 to 50 games on it."

Elaborate on this sentence lol.. what is R4DS and 2Gb micro SD and "40ish quid total."

Sorry lol, I'm a noob.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2007
  5. nintenut

nintenut Regular member

Yep, completely free, check out frozen-roms.net, ds.rom-news.org, or 1rom.net for the downloads.

1. One cartridge and one microSD card.

2. Put it on your microSD and plug it into the R4, you can also trim excess data to reduce the size of it with various apps.

3. I'd recommend Gameyeeeah, though I've only ordered from them once, I had no problems getting my order.

The R4DS is the cart you need to play downloaded DS games. It's almost completely identical to the M3DS Simply, so read Mr_hanky's guide. (It's stickied).
    A microSD card is a small storage device that you store the games on, it is also used in many MP3 players and cell phones.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  6. juniR

juniR Guest

Basically the R4 DS cartridge houses a micro SD card (I think you can get 'em up to 4Gb now but don't hold me to that) which it uses for memory to hold your games, saves & data, as well as some homebrew apps, mp3s & movies if you like, though if you have a PSP it's not really worth using the DS for video as well imho. You grab the games in rom files (.nds) from wherever you can find them (but they are all over the net tbh). These nds files are moved directly onto the memory card which is then slotted into the R4 cartridge which is in turn slotted into the DS. Turn on and choose what you want from the menu...

40ish quid is "around" £40 - 40 English pounds or maybe 60 Euros approx.

7. chaosnova

chaosnova Guest

ok guys, thanks a lot.... I'll consider buying a DS for this.

8. chaosnova

chaosnova Guest

Guys, does this apply for the ds slim ONLY? or just any old DS?

Are the R4DS and Micro SD card the same thing? Where do you buy them from? How much do they cost?

9. juniR

juniR Guest

erm _ I gues you mean "lite" and not "slim"... It works on the both. The R4DS is a cartridge which holds a micros SD memory card.

Cost depends on where you live and how big a memory card you want but say about £40 or 60 Euros or 75$ (US) total for the two items if you look around.

10. Sohn536

Sohn536 Regular member

buy everything from www.realhotstuff.com