1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tough to backup! Even with MTR 2.6.6 & DVD2oneX 1.4.2

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by Harmodius, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Harmodius

Harmodius Member

So, the title says it. I have three Macs, all running 10.3.8 or 10.3.9

A friend in Barcelona sent me, as a gift, a DVD of "Berlin Express" by Jacques Tourneur (1948). It's not in print in the USA. It's a PAL region 2 DVD, just the sort that only a reckless person would not back up, lest the dog or the toddler, &c.

Using MTR 2.6.6, I have extracted it on a G4 and on a G5. When I try to view the extracted DVD (which Get Info reports as 4.23 GB, the size MTR says it should be) with DVD Player v. 4.0, it won't play except as highly corrupted output [all audio streams mixed, and tessellated video output], no matter whether I've ripped it using Full Disc Extraction mode, or Full Disc (ARccOS) or Main Feature or Main Feature (ARccOS).

If I try to run the files through DVD2oneX 1.4.2, I get the error message that it can't decrypt encrypted files.

I don't have the luxury of an OS 9 machine around here, and also, if I did, I can't find a download link for some of the older DVD extraction utilities cited by MediaGuru in his sticky post at the head of this forum.

Many DVDs have been backed up at this house, and are stored off site (for protection against loss in case of fire, tsunami, &c.), but this one has me buffaloed.

If anyone knows how to overcome this, please tell me. GeezerButtz probably needs to lay really low, but unless someone can tell me how to back up this DVD, he should probably know about this problem with this disc, lest the backup prevention method spread like wildfire. (Each time in the past that this has occurred, when I looked, there was a new version of MTR that would permit backup of a difficult disk. I looked for, but did not find, version 2.6.7 or better of MTR.)

Disc details follow. Title: Berlín Exprés. (That's i with an accent grave and e with an accent grave.) Publisher: Manga Films, S.L. Year: 2002

Naturally, it plays just fine in a DVD player that has been made region-free and format-indifferent by firmware change, or by design. It also plays well on a Mac if VLC is used to play it. Playing it on a Mac using DVD Player requires that either the Mac's internal drive have its region set to 2, or that it be played via an external drive set to region 2. DVD Player, of course, doesn't care whether the format is PAL or NTSC.

Any suggestions, folks?

2. Londor

Londor Guest

3. Harmodius

Harmodius Member

Thank you.

I'll attempt to get this disc into the hands of the developers of the next iteration of the needful.