1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Towel method possibly false?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by andro1d, Mar 29, 2007.

1. andro1d

andro1d Regular member

So lately I've been getting the 3 rings of death. Rather than freak out and post a million threads I did my reading and found pretty much the easiest way to fix it other than swapping it with a new one or sending it to MS was to do the "towel method". I told my friend's who were over at the time about it and they laughed. I say how I've read that tons of people have tried it and most of the time it works. So I go ahead and turn it on, wrap it in a towel for 10-15 minutes, unwrap it, turn it off then back on and voila, fires right up.

We start laughing and dancing around at the mysteries of towels, wondering what other magical powers towels have. This was last week or so and I wasn't getting any problem until yesterday. So I did the towel method again, 3 minutes later freeze. Repeat that last sentence about 5 times. Then I start getting frustrated. I jiggle the power cord in the back, thinking maybe it's loose some how or something. So I really press it in there and sorta pull up on it, turn it on and it stays on for around 15-20 minutes before it freezes. So then I start thinking "crap is it the power cord?!" I get a rubber band and stretch it from the end of the cord to the front of the system, so that it's like pulling up on the cord. I turn it on and it played perfectly until I went to bed (about an hour). So then I wonder if maybe the towel method was working because when I wrap it up it'd be really tight, most likely applying pressure to the cord so maybe that's why it was working when I unwrapped it.

Anybody else have red light problems and do what I have done, or anything similiar to what I've done? Is the towel method really not what's fixing it?

2. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

The Towel trick is the most dangerous thing you could do to ANY electronics system. From what i've seen, they say it heats up the inside enough to re-melt the solder ... if it is getting this hot, you're risking melting any wires, damaging fans, and blowing chips on the board! I've seen more laptops and desktops in my day fry due to over heating, so to imagine that wrapping your $400 xbox in a towel and running it is a safe way to "fix" it, well, its just a ridiculous thing to even imagine doing.

3. andro1d

andro1d Regular member

Yah I was wondering how dangerous it can be to do that, but luckily it's still working. *fingers crossed knocking on every piece of wood I can find*

4. wabashman

wabashman Active member

yea it does sound pretty dangerous, but hey whats the worst that could happen, it breaks completely?? the way it sounds its almost there anyways. and thats one hell of a pc you got there andro!! never heard of a HD with 300 trillion GBs of space!! lol.

5. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

I have also heard that in some cases the red lights are due to the power supply over-heating and not the console. They said to put the power supply up on a shoe box or something where it can get additional ventilation to keep it cool. I personally haven't had any problems with my xbox ... aside from a game freezing here n there, but no issues with red lights or the power supply getting too hot.

6. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

towel method works if you have a certain problem, it only works if the solder melts and doesnt bond back together, but if its something else, it wont do much good, and if its the power block, but it up on a shelf above the 360 and let gravity pull on the power cord, much safer than having something wrapped around the 360 to hold it

7. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

yeah, I'm sure you're right ... but the idea of heating up a 360 to the point of the solder melting is, well, just plain ridiculous ... doing this to any type of computer is the most dangerous thing you could do!!!

8. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

no, it heated up that much on its own as to melt the solder, so helping its not going to hurt it much, as long as you keep an eye on it.

9. andro1d

andro1d Regular member

Dammit now after reading all this about how bad it is it's making me feel like a dumbass. Hopefully it'll continue to work now with my new found power supply idea cuz I guess I won't be wrapping it in a towel anymore.

10. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

yeah, best of luck to you man, i hope something works out, i hate seeing a wasted 400 dollar console :(

11. andro1d

andro1d Regular member

And if you think that's amazing wabash you should check out my 300 speakers surrounding me with my one sub behind!

12. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

yeah i noticed that as well, how much would you charge me for one of those Core850Duo 13,000,000,001GHZ cpus lmao!

13. andro1d

andro1d Regular member

cuz you seem like a nice guy, let's call it an even 450,000

14. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

haha, i predict that pretty soon we will have some outrageous stuff going on with computers, i was reading somewhere a guy has a terehert cpu...

15. andro1d

andro1d Regular member

I read Bill Gates is still rollin' with a pentium 1 with 1.5 gigs, and 32mb ram, somethin' about how he likes to keep it old school.

16. handsom

handsom Regular member

From personal experience; the towel method works on my system, under certain conditions. It seems that in my particular case, the trick is to block to vents on the top/bottom/sides of the console, but not necessarily the rear one. By blocking these vents, the system continues to function at 100% (Save a bad media problem, but that's media, not the system). The rear fan is the one that gets warmer. I've found that by blocking these other vents, the entire system stays one solid temperature, in my case, the other vents were getting different parts of the system to expand(from heat) at different rates and lose contacts(Due mostly to poor soldering), which is what caused my particular problem. This is also why some people have reported 100% functionality only when the system is completely open.

I have run the system like this for a good 18 hours straight and checked it regularly. My findings were that the system NEVER got hot, the rear fan stayed roughly the same temp the entire time, and yes, it was actually being USED the entire time, it wasn't idling. By leving the towel on long term the internals stay one temperature, and the heat expansion issue is not a problem for me. I'm going to be checking it soon, to confirm the same thing happens when it's operated completely open as well; I will be sure to post my confirmed results. As of yet though, the system has been working for two or three weeks 100%, so long as the towel is trapping heat in. And about 20% when it's not. It's just a trick of blocking certain vents in this case, but NOT the rear one, that is probably VERY dangerous.

17. andro1d

andro1d Regular member

ok well now my system isn't working, and if it does turn on it just freezes 2 seconds into it at the xbox 360 screen. Damn...

Was thinking of selling this thing on ebay and getting the elite when it comes out. Any word on wether or not it's gonna be flashable? Guess nobody really knows the answer to that question until it comes out huh...

Well if anybody else has any ideas to fix that'd be cool

18. handsom

handsom Regular member

I'm considering the same thing. With the condition of my system, it's probably not going to last much longer; so I'm looking into how to best go about replacing it, you know?