1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tower Is Sounding Like A Jet! !!!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jamesdoc1, Jan 25, 2007.

1. jamesdoc1

jamesdoc1 Guest

My Tower sounds as if it's ready to take off. Foxconn 945G7MA, Pentium D 2.80Ghz with Maxtor 160 gig. The CPU fan is the noisy one and i can control the speed of it with the "super step" (software included with mb gives you temps and fan speeds) i have three settings and don't have a clue, They are as follows---
    (1) PWM Start Temp 'c
    (2) Start PWM Value (0~127)
    (3) PWM Full On Temp 'c
    (4) Slope PWM Value??
    If anyone can help i will be delighted as the comp is in the room and wife is moaning !!!When the fan slows the reduction in noise is amazing. Good fan and heatsink. Temps are the problem as i don't know them and also the above settings too. Thank you

2. rogeball

rogeball Regular member

The wife is moaning, i want to hear that!!!
    No you might want to check out google, or i can just up this thread for someone who may know, ive never heard of PWM Start Temp 'c or the others, im sure it would explain it in the manual.

3. jamesdoc1

jamesdoc1 Guest

I have tryed the manual and on the foxconn web site and there is nothing to explain or even mention these settings!!!
    thanks

4. elokito

elokito Regular member

i had the same exact prblm just dl speedfan and control the speed of the fan lower each to 50% so u could c which is each that WILL help

5. jamesdoc1

jamesdoc1 Guest

thanks much, i did have speed fan but got rid of it. The bios has settings for the fan control and i also have "super step" fan control software i received with the mb. Going to see how much a new heatsink and fan will cost. See the thermal paste thats on the heatsink when you buy them is it ok or are you better getting some of your own?? (silicone is advised with this but don't know)Problems problems. When you come into the computer world it's a different kettle of fish!!!

6. elokito

elokito Regular member

the thermal paste it brings is ok but if u change heatsinks u better buy "artic silver" its a thermal paste better than the stock one and with time it lowers 5-10c

7. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

I had a similar problem recently. My damn pc was nearly lifting off with the noise of the fan :)

I opened up the pc and the cpu fan was filthy with dust and my pc is only a year and a half old.

Some people say use compressed air to blow off the dust but seen as I didn't have any, I just gave it a good hoovering out.

I was amazed at the noise reduction!!

As elokito said, speed fan is a good utility.

Good luck
    Sandisk

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007