1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem [TP500LN] ASUS 2-in-1 transformer CPU Fan issue

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mega123, May 21, 2015.

1. mega123

mega123 Regular member

Hello,

I have a ASUS TP500LN laptop I bought new a few days ago, however I immediately noticed the fan (CPU I believe) to be louder than expected. Now the thing is I want to know, is it normal to hear the CPU fan from say 50cm away? OR should it be whisper quiet?

Because sometimes the CPU fan does go whisper quiet, but that only lasts a few minutes, than the majority of the time I hear the CPU fan. It's low noise, but still noticeable to hear.

I want to know, is it normal to hear the fan on this type of laptop or not?

The laptop isn't under any stressed, plugged in via power, set on 'Balance (Recommended)' power plan.

The CPU would be on 3-4% (even lower), Memory 35% (or even lower), Disk (0% or a bit higher). Those numbers don't exactly scream intense load. Core temperature of CPU would be somewhere like 36%.

Just want to note, that at the moment, we are in winter and so it's cold, and so I doubt the weather can be blamed.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post.

-------

Tried SpeedFan, NoteBook Fan Control, HWInfo (or something), openhardwaremonitor.

No software I know of allows me to change the CPU fan speed or even read the fan speed. The BIOS does not allow me as well.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

did you buy it at a store or online?

3. mega123

mega123 Regular member

I bought it from a store. The notebook was their last in stock, however the box it came in looked almost used. I talked to them about it, and the store clerk just told me it was 'weird' but assured me the notebook is brand new/sealed.

I googled around, and found a forum post saying ASUS doesn't sell used Laptops that have been repaired/refurbished.

I've googled around, and found a review on the model I have, and they said the notebook is quiet most of the time. Like I said, there are a few minutes when the laptop's fan is whisper quiet, can't hear it. Than it starts up, a low noise, but still audible. So I definitely know my Laptop's fan can run without it being heard.

4. ddp

did you have to finish the installation of windows or did the store did it for you? trying to see if laptop is a return or not.

5. mega123

mega123 Regular member

I had to finish the installation. Windows 8 took me through all the steps of naming my PC, choosing a network, adding a password to my account, setting time zone etc...

6. ddp

contact asus to see if there is an issue with your fan. they may also walk you thru the bios process to change the fan settings.

7. mega123

mega123 Regular member

I checked the BIOS (on start up press del). There is no menu to change CPU fan.

8. ddp

still contact asus then. is there another store in your town\city that sell computers that might also sell that laptop to see if their fan is doing same as yours or not?

9. mega123

mega123 Regular member

Yeah there is. I never bothered to check to hear for fan when I saw the display model. Should have....

In your opinion however, even though you may not have this or used this type of notebook. Should I be hearing the fan based on the readings I gave in my first post (the degrees etc..)? I mean it isn't loud, you can get used too it, but it sought of irks me that this model may not even need the fan to be audible.

10. ddp

it should be quiet unless it was under a load then the fan should be louder til the load is gone. some of the desktops I've worked on are noisey at 1st then they go quiet til they go under a load then the fan is louder.