1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TPMGEnc working but sooooo slow!

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by muckipup, Nov 5, 2004.

1. muckipup

muckipup Member

Hi!
    Sorry if this question has come up before but I couldn't find any pointer after searching:

I'm trying to convert an Xvid avi to DVD and am at the TPMGEnc stage. I have followed the excellent guide and everything has gone perfectly. However TPMGEnc is estimating that it will take 35+ hours to encode the file and even that is with the lowest quality setting and not the one recommended in the guide!!!! OK, I confess that the joined avi is 1.3GB and I am on a Athlon 700Mhz PC with 1GB RAM....but 35 hours!!!....I must be doing something wrong - right?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. bigtaco

bigtaco Member

I was just about to ask them same question muckipup before I saw your post. TPMGEnc is converting my divx movie as I type this. I started about 8 hours ago and it looks to be about half done, atleast by the programs estimation. Mind you, my computer is pretty fast. I hope that I have done something wrong and that it doesn't really take this long for a 1.5 hour movie :)

3. muckipup

muckipup Member

Hi bigtaco,

I don't think that you have done anything wrong - the guide mentions that 20 hours may be expected and I have seen figures around the 15-20 hour mark from different websites for encoding software whatever the software. I was definately doing something wrong at 35 hours but have found that I had a bitrate setting way too high - when I adjust it to a sensible setting it now says 17 hours! It's an overnight/next morning job for sure as the process seems to max out the processor (on a 700MHz anyway!) leaving the PC nearly unusable for anything else!!