1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfering copyrighted VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Destra, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Destra

Destra Regular member

I am not sure where this question should be asked but here goes anyway. I have copied many VHS tapes to DVD of people's home videos but recently a client asked about transferring a VHS movie tape (copyright) to DVD. Now I am relatively sure this is legal if the client did this themselves (fair use or something like that) but what if I do it for them. Does anybody know the legality of this in Canada (definitively) or have a link to read up on this kind of stuff? I don't want to do this and have menacing people in dark shades show up in a few weeks.

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

i doubt you will be tracked by "people in dark shades" just for transferring a few tapes to DVD. It is legal to own backup copies of purchased music and videos, so if you make a copy of the tape and give both the copy and original back to the owner, you should be in the clear.

on a more technical note, copyrighted dvds have copy guard macrovision protection on them. You will need to get around this somehow. They make devices for about $25 that you pass the video signal through which will remove the protection

3. Destra

Destra Regular member

Well it will probably be more than a few. I think it is legal to make backups of movies that you own but I have read in a few places that it is not legal to pay someone to do it for you (in the USA atleast). I guess I will try and find a law forum (if there is such a thing).

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

In Canada, you have less trouble than in the US.
    Make the backup. Charge for your time, and the blank media. No problems, it's legal.
    You CANNOT however, make a copy to keep for yourself, nor make ANY profit from the CONTENTS of either the source or the burn.