1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

transfering files between two computers

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by ravens1, Jul 14, 2007.

1. ravens1

ravens1 Regular member

On one of my computers i have like 700mb free, so i want to transfer over some documents and pictures which total about 10gb. I don't have an external hd, and i don't plan on buying one since this really is about the only time i am going to be needing it.

So is there free software or a method of transferring my files from one of my computers to my other one? I do have an ethernet cable, so maybe there is a way to transfer files with it?

Thanks in advance

2. Krazymale

Krazymale Regular member

You will need to get a "cross-over" network cable to connect the two ends to the computers.

Once you've done that, go into the "Network Neighborhood" or Network settings part of Windows. Put each computer in a "workgroup" ...you can name that workgroup whatever you'd like, but they both need to be in the same workgroup.

Then you will need to "share" the folders that you want on the new computer.

3. ravens1

ravens1 Regular member

I think i have a crossover cable. I don't know the real name, but i use it to connect my xbox/ps2 to play online.

I will try and see if it works.

Thanks for the reply.

4. ravens1

ravens1 Regular member

Ok, i made a workgroup on one of my computers. If i want to access files between computers i have to have a cable?

5. Krazymale

Krazymale Regular member

Network cable to connect both PCs then all what you need to do just transfer the files you want.

6. ravens1

ravens1 Regular member

Ok, its working now. I can transfer files between computers.

Thanks for your help.