1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfering Outlook Express

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by sunsmum, Mar 6, 2005.

1. sunsmum

sunsmum Member

I've recently changed pc from Windows Millenium to Windows XP and would like to know if it is possible to transfer my Outlook Express from the old pc onto the new one?

I had been deleting mails from my external email address to stop that inbox reaching its account size limit; but keeping them in Outlook Express - so it's not as simple as using my email adress to set up a new account to receive my old emails to new pc...

I found a link on the net saying I just had to save the emails in dbx file format and then reinstall them onto the new pc... but XP says its hiding the locations that I need to access, for the better running of the pc (or something like that!) so I cannot follow the previous advice I'd found... unless someone knows a way around this???

Thanks for any pearls of wisdom.

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

its so much easier just to get a backup program. I use Outlook Express Backup v6.5. You should be able to find a shareware version which works for 30 days.

3. sunsmum

sunsmum Member

Thanks djscoop, this definitely sounds promising. Havent had time to try it out yet but will let you know if I get it sorted.

Thanks again :)

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

sure PM me if you need help

5. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

You can just save the messages throught outlook express. I don't know if you can have it so they get put back in you inbox or where ever you want them but you can still read them by clicking on it from your harddrive windows will recognize them as e-mails and open them accordingly.

6. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

Anothe option is sign up with a free e-mail account yahoo mail for example. Save all you e-mails in you account space. Then when you get outlook going just add the e-mail account to outlook and copy or move all your e-mails to a fold in outlook (which would be on your hard drive).

7. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

Outlook stores files in a pst file, found in the Document and settings - and helpfully Bill now treats them as hidden system files, so you have to turn on the ability to see system files.

Outlook Express uses .dbx files.

If the computers are network just uses the Import Export functions.