1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transferring DVD Collection to Digital format, what format and preservation questions...

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by amsgwp, Dec 4, 2007.

1. amsgwp

amsgwp Member

Ok so i've been out of the loop for a while and I really want to move my DVD collection to digital format.

Also does anyone have any good dvd collection software for organizing a collection?

Next question...

what is the best encoding method to use and what settings?(I know this is super broad and has probably been covered a million times, but what is the best quality). My main thing is preserving the surround sound. Also with the new fall xbox live update it can stream DivX and XviD. So I kind of want to stick with one of those formats. Is there one that is better than the other? Is it possible to preserve the menu's and extra features?

So my main question, can you have surround sound encoded into the DivX XviD and which one is the better method of encoding a SDTV dvd?

2. ugc

ugc Regular member

Ok. What you are wanting to do, is exactly what I wanted to do. So, here is what I came up with and what I learned. Take this advice and tweak it to your liking.

First, I have a lot of movies, so I wanted to keep track of them using a good catalog type software. I found the best to be "Movie Collectorz" Located here: (not free)
    http://www.collectorz.com/movie/
    "I am not trying to get you to buy it. This is just what I use"

If you want to keep the ac3 of the DVD (like me), this is very easy to do. Many people like autogk, but I prefer avi.net (totally free), located here:
    http://www.clonead.co.uk/
    (just a few mouse clicks, and you keep the ac3, -very easy-)

One more thing I found out. The newer codec H.264 will produce a better quality picture with less space used. What I do is use NERO RECODE to convert to the NERO AVC (Standard profile), and the picture is outstanding. I encode video only, and keep the ac3 from the DVD and mux into a MKV container. I just happen to use a TViX media player that will play the mkv file with no problem. If you plan on playing your encoded movies on a regular divx/dvd player, stick with divx/xvid.

phew....I'm out of breath :)

If you have anymore questions, throw them at me.

3. amsgwp

amsgwp Member

ok here is my question. What if I was to rip the dvd's to ISO format(to keep all the menu's, versions, etc in-tact). Space obviously would not be an issue for me. Would I be a be able to play these back? Is it possible to somehow make the computer mount the iso then stream it to my xbox 360, or some other player? Like if I used Windows Media Extender, would that play the DVD that is in the drive? Would it be possible to automatically mount the ISO selected from a menu instead of having to manually mount it with daemon tools or alcohol 120?

4. ugc

ugc Regular member

It can be done. This use to be my setup:

1) I kept DVD's in ISO format.
    2) I connected my computer directly to my TV (using DVI)
    3) I use VirtualCD to mount ISO files Automatically by using script (all done from a remote control on my couch)
    4) I use Zoomplayer to watch it all (I just liked the interface the best)

I don't know a lot about that part, but from what I read, I think you would need a fast computer because I don't believe it is possible to stream DVD. They do have programs out there that say they can, but what really happens is the software converts the DVD into another video container that is able to stream (on the fly).

If it would be possible for you to connect your computer directly up to your TV, I believe you would get better results out of that.