1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

transferring emulators to xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by goatboy84, Apr 26, 2007.

1. goatboy84

goatboy84 Member

Hey look its one of these topics again. I know these topics show up on every message board but everyone I've read has not helped me. They explain it like I've done it before. I'm an extreme noob when it comes to this stuff.

What I've done so far is soft mod my xbox with EvoX. My version has a skin with people standing with green EvoX writing. I was shocked to find that I don't have a XBMC (I think thats right) with this. I have an option to launch emulators but I don't have any.

My question is how do I put them on there? I have a FTP connection between my Xbox and PC. I can use either SmartFTP or FlashFXP. I know how to access my Xbox's files from my PC. What I don't know how to do is actually get the MAME, Virtual Xboy and other emulators. I have one its like Mameox on my computer. Do I unzip it or "unrar" it first or just send it over? Also how do I put my roms on there? I need help putting the emulators and roms on my xbox using a FTP program.

I've used MAME on my PC and I know how to run games that way but the Xbox is uncharted waters.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Almakra

Almakra Guest

erm assuming that you have a hard drive in your xbox it should be a doddle...

create a folder say on the f:drive called emulators. and whack your MAME or other emulators in there, preferably in seperate folders so you know whats what.
    most if not all progs need a file called default.xbe which is the executable program, so make sure you have one of these for each program you put on there.
    your ROMS go into another folder within the MAME folder possibly called Roms, so when you load your emulator the roms will load into the list automatically.

you should then be able to navigate to it with evox.

if you dont have the option to navigate to programs or emulators with your evox from the menu, then you'll have to edit the menu system, this is fairly simple and just takes some trial and error. there are plenty of threads available which detail how to do this just have a search. (always research your projects before making alterations to system files!) the file to edit for the dashboard menu is evox.ini and is located in the root of the c: drive - ftp this to your pc, open with notepad, edit it by adding an 'emulators' item and enter the file path, save it, and send it back to the xbox. voila! you will now have an emulator option on your evox menu.

i would highly recommend getting xbmc on there - its the dogs bo**ox!! and its like 5000% better than evox!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2007
  3. goatboy84

goatboy84 Member

I've heard good things about XBMC but I have no idea how to put it on my xbox. 95% of the tutorials out there were just for the basic EvoX program. Any pointers on adding XBMC would be appreciated.

Thanks for the emulator help. I'll see what I can do with that info.

4. goatboy84

goatboy84 Member

I've used Emu-asylum for PC MAME roms can I get the same Roms from there and run them on MAMEoX (v84b3)? Like I said I'm a total noob

5. Almakra

Almakra Guest

ok first of all i would suggest downloading the program from a reliable source - search for it - then you can install it as a program along with your other programs and try it out... simply booting it from within evox.

later on, you can work out how to use it as your dash board instead of evox, so that it loads on boot up.

6. jiggles

jiggles Guest

k man theres ALOT of people on this site spreading the wrong ways to do stuff and you wonder why so many people mess up their xbox...
    so just follow my direcions
    get rid of evo x... only thing its good for is to unlock the hd and if your a noob then dont ever mess with that option for your own good..
    install unleashx and get xored mini launcher if you wanna use trainers

ok you download your emulators and roms from torrents or google or where ever

unzip or unrar them

then you open your ftp connection and go to e:\ drive

make a folder called emulators...

then make a folder of what emulator you want.. say mame

then transfer all the files that you inzipped or unrared to that mame folder

create a folder inside "mame" named "roms" and transfer all your roms there

should work perfect after that

for any other emu's just make a new folder inside e:\emulators and name it what ever emulator it is

if you have any more problems just pm me

my working emus are::
    nes
    snes
    playstation 1
    n64
    gameboy advance (which also plays gb, gbc)
    sega genesis
    mame
    sega master system
    atari

i also have some other stuff if you need help gettin your xbox pimped

aol instant messenger , internet explorer ,

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2007
  7. Burnasty

Burnasty Regular member

When you get those load the emulators be sure you remember the path to the roms. I Know mame you have to type in the path.