1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transferring MP3 to V220 for use as ringtone

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by rockdawg, Jan 1, 2005.

1. rockdawg

rockdawg Regular member

I am using Mobile Phone Tools v3.19e.

1. I connected my V220 and started the Phone Tools program. It opens showing a skin of my phone and initializes. Took about 5-10 seconds to initialize.
    2. I clicked on [bold]Multimedia Studio[/bold] and it takes me to the Welcome Page.
    3. I click on [bold]Melody Studio[/bold] and a small help window comes up providing instructions on how to use it. I read through those instructions and closed the help window.
    4. In the Melody Studio window I clicked on the [bold]My PC[/bold] tab and searched for an MP3. In this case I chose Why You Want to Treat Me So Bad by Prince.
    5. In the visual display at the bottom showing the left and right stereo channels, I highlighted with my mouse the first 15.5 seconds of that song - unfortunately it doesn't tell you how much time you have highlighted so I guessed based on the ticker marks.
    6. Then I clicked on the [bold]Save Selection As[/bold] button at the top. The default file format is MP3. I named the file treatmesobad.mp3.
    7. I clicked the transfer button and rec'd an error message about a missing MP3 codec. No worries.
    8. I went back to the Mobile Explorer view, found my file, made sure the My Music tab was selected in the Mobile Phone Window. Then I clicked on the button in the middle of those two windows to transfer the file to the phone and it worked like a charm.

The filesize of the MP3 ended up being 106KB for 15.5 seconds of audio. I chose it as my ringtone in my phone and I called myself. Works great.

2. odmedod

odmedod Guest

Nice. Let's see what I've done that's different.

Using MPT v3.11h

Steps 1 - 3, OK, done all that, apart from reading the instructions for Multimedia Studio, of course! LOL.

Step 4, OK, done that, but not with the Artist No Longer Formerly Known as Prince. I chose a barking dog which I had as a .wav file. I converted it to MP3 using CoolEdit and it came out at about 3KB. I have also tried MP3 files produced using other software.

Step 5, the audio plays just fine using the graphic display at the bottom of the screen. Seriously loud, and scares seven shades out of you, but that's not important right now.

Step 6. Now here's something to try. As I already had a suitable MP3 ready for transfer, I didn't do a [bold]Save Selection As[/bold].

Step 7. Transfer button. Never had any warnings.

Step 8. Transfer apparently works fine by drag and drop. It takes about as long as you'd expect it to, and choosing the Details view shows the size of the file on the phone side to be correct.

Step 9. There is no Step 9, but in my case, the phone reports the file as corrupted, so I delete it and repeat Steps 1-8. And then 9.

So to sum up, we have two differences.

1. My software version is 3.11h. Tried live updating but the site won't let me. C'est la vie.

2. I used a "ready-made" MP3.

Let me work on [2] and report back.

3. odmedod

odmedod Guest

Following up.

This time in Step 6, made a token selection from my original .wav, chose [bold]Save Selection As[/bold], navigated to 'rings' and saved as dog.mp3. The default file format is the same as the original file before saving, in my case, *.wav. No worries.

Into Step 8, navigate to the appropriate directory in the PC pane of Mobile Explorer, then drag and drop to the Phone pane. The file automagically goes into the right folder.

Back to the phone for Step 9. Menu > Multimedia > Sounds > dog, then press Play.

[bold]Woof![/bold]

Voila!

I'll try it now with a longer audio clip, but trust me, it won't be Prince.

There we go then, a victory for a logical and painstakingly methodical approach. LOL

The answer to corrupted MP3 files appears to be to resave them in Melody Studio before transferring by whatever method works for you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2005
  4. odmedod

odmedod Guest

following up again, apologies.

Just transferred a longer MP3 to my V220 for use as a ringtone.

I tried two MP3s, both saved as MP3 in Melody Studio. One was corrupted, one wasn't. But I got the one I wanted. Maybe someone else would care to do some more testing to see exactly why some files are corrupted while others are clean.

Anyway, I've now got my own (slightly surreal) ringtone.

5. rockdawg

rockdawg Regular member

WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!! I'm VERY glad you, for the most part, were able to transfer an MP3 to your phone.

Funny comment about Prince. For the record, he did go back to being known as "Prince". LOL

6. rockdawg

rockdawg Regular member

WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!! I'm VERY glad you, for the most part, were able to transfer an MP3 to your phone.

Funny comment about Prince. For the record, he did go back to being known as "Prince". LOL

7. odmedod

odmedod Guest

While I'm still not convinced that the MPT software is truly fit for purpose I reckon I've got it pretty well sorted now. I transferred a bunch of assorted MP3s across -- bells, crying babies, Chinese gongs, and more dogs -- and it accepted them all.

LOL. Hence my "...no longer formerly known as..."

8. ciocolata

ciocolata Member

how come...on a totally non-prince-related subject..lol--when i plug in my phone to the computer...windows 98 via usb cable...v220...it comes up with finding driver..when i point to the file where i know where the driver is..it says it cannot find it?

9. ciocolata

ciocolata Member

how come...on a totally non-prince-related subject..lol--when i plug in my phone to the computer...windows 98 via usb cable...v220...it comes up with finding driver..when i point to the file where i know where the driver is..it says it cannot find it?

10. odmedod

odmedod Guest

How come everybody -- nearly everybody -- is suddenly saying everything twice? They're saying everything twice. This is called battology.

I haven't used Windows 98 since 1998, but isn't there some kind of issue concerning the use of Win98 with MPT. This arose in the other thread: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1/111426 Or maybe we don't have sufficient data because users give up in disgust...?

11. rockdawg

rockdawg Regular member

hey, looks like you're having the same double post errors that I am. Evidently our posts go through even though we receive an error from the site.

Is your cable connected to a USB hub or directly to a port on your computer? If it's a front USB port, change it to a rear port and try it.

12. rockdawg

rockdawg Regular member

ROFLMAO You are too funny.

13. ciocolata

ciocolata Member

it is connected to the one in the back.

14. rockdawg

rockdawg Regular member

move the discussion back to your original thread, I responded there.

15. svb4

svb4 Member

Do the Mobile Phone Tools v3.19e support the E1000 (Bluetooth)?

Please helpe me!

Thanks

16. rockdawg

rockdawg Regular member

MPTs DO support phones with bluetooth, but whether it supports yours is anybody's guess. If your phone is a new model, it may not. You can always download the program and driver and see.

Also, your phone uses Transflash storage. Search for that term, "Transflash" in these forums and you should find where someone else posted a workaround of sorts for phones with Transflash.

17. car2006

car2006 Member

okay...so in reference to rockdawg's first post here (with the list of steps), it says that you encountered an error message saying you were missing the appropriate mp3 codec. you said you were able to go to the mobile explorer window and transfer it that way. i tried to transfer the mp3 ringtone to my phone that way but after i highlight the file to transfer, i cannot click the button in between the explorer window and the phone window to send the ringtone to the phone. the file is 444kb and is type mp3. any suggestions on how i could get this to work? thanks :eek:)

18. mambin

mambin Member

Hi,
    I've been searching the web for Mobile Phone Tools software that would support my Motorola V220. I can't find it!!! I would like any version I just want to transfer the files to my phone. Does any one have a link where I can find and dowload the software... all the links from other forums are useless.
    Thank You!!!

19. jwmgator

jwmgator Guest

Hi, I have been trying to find those mobile phone tools, They all want cash for them, are they available for free from any sites that you know of???

Regards John

20. mambin

mambin Member

Hi,
    There is only one place I know of that you can get Mobile Phone Tools free, and your lucky it still works!!!
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6HHH2964
    To Download, you need to:
    -Wait for the timer on corner to run out.
    -Click on Download.
    -The file is compressed, and you must download Winrar or something like that(its free, Check google.com)

Note: The file is large you might want to consider downloading an accelerator or download manager (also free) you may use "DAP".
    Check Download.com