1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transferring MP3 to V220 for use as ringtone

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by rockdawg, Jan 1, 2005.

1. jwmgator

jwmgator Guest

Hi, i dl the prog from the first site, when i did the updates, worked fine, thanks...

Regards: John

2. genbua

genbua Member

This software support my Razr V3??? when i run it, initialized too long and never finish... what can I do and what i need to do now? Plz help me

3. expresso

expresso Regular member

hi - i read this post and nothing works for me - i have the razr and using motorola phone tools - latest and cant transfer any songs to my phone - i got images to go but when i try a song on my computer - i crop it and then i cant save it to my computer or transfer it to my phone -
    the error i get is " failed to save file " when trying to save to pc after i crop it --

then if i try to transfer to the phone - it says "unsuported format - mp3 codec may be inappropriate or missing "

i tryed everything and nothing works - can anyone help me and please write in details what i can do to fix it - its driving me crazy -

thanks

4. mambin

mambin Member

Hi,
    WOW...long time since my last post!
    Well I would consider this problem rare, since the razr is a more advanced model and doesn't need aditional drivers or almost nothing else to istall exept for the latest MPT.
    * Your problem is similar to the one I had with my old V220. But now i have a Motorola SLVR and my brother has a RAZR and everything transfers fine.

-1st try reinstalling Mobile Phone Tools

-Make sure your sound files are mp3's. That error you mentioned sounds like the file is not an mp3, or it may be corrupted or in the case with my old v220 it needed to be converted to mono with lower bit rate.

-If you still have problems, try downloading Audacity (its Free)
    * In Audacity you can convert your sound files to mp3, change to mono instead of stereo (since your razr only has one speaker), and crop them.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

I hope this helps...luck :)

5. expresso

expresso Regular member

thanks - i will try that program - whats strange is - i had a razr before and used it fine to transfer over to the phone - i croped the song and transfered it - and its the same songs - same music as before -
    this is a new phone - replacement because the other one broke on its own - now the only difference is that i am using vista now before it was xp
    but the images transfer fine - some tones that are general with the MPT work fine and transfer - it wont even make me save the cropped song -
    the audio file are mp3 or ripped from my cds -- its very strange but driving me crazy - i hate the stock ring tones on the phone -

i give the program you linked me to a try - i did install it over and over a few times - tried a different version etc. and nothing - some thing - i cant think of anything else to try - i let you know how it works -

thanks

6. expresso

expresso Regular member

i downloaded that program but how do you use it - lol

i am pretty new to this so its not as simple as it sounds -

is there any simple easy to use programs to do that - the audio file is a mp3 - but its in stereo - just weird because i used this file before and worked fine - any other suggestions ?

7. mambin

mambin Member

Well, I realy haven't tried any other method...I'll do you some reaserch on the side, but for now here is how you change your songs to mono on audacity.

1. Open Audacity > Click File > Open > Browse for your file > Click Open.

2. After your sound file is open, you will see a dialog next to the visual representation of your song, Below the name of your song you will se that it says "stereo" click on the name of your song.

3. When the box opens click > Split stereo track > after they split close any one of the 2 splitted files.

4. Click again on the name of the remaining file of your song and click > mono. Now you see "Mono" under your sound file name.

5. This step is an extra step... you can click on > "set sample format" and change to a lower bit rate like 24-bit or 16-bit. But you can skip it if you want, or try to see wich is has better quality and manages to transfer.

Also maybe some features aren't compatible with Windows Vista. Also I heard that Windows Vista Beta version is not compatible with many windows xp sofware. But I don't know if thats the case with the released version.

I hope this helps...good luck!

8. mambin

mambin Member

Sorry I forgot the last and most important step....

after you have done the steps before mentioned, go to:

File > Expot as MP3 > set the name of the file > Click save > If a box pops up asking to edit the ID3 tab just click ok.

-also if you want to export just a piece of your song, select the section you want by draging the mouse over it and click on

Edit > Trim > and then export the file.

9. expresso

expresso Regular member

thanks - if you find anything out that may help me - let me know
    i may just restore back to xp for a day and see if it works then -
    and if it does - i put my tones on my phone and restore back to vista

i just have to see if it would work that way - i dont have another system with xp to try that

thanks for you help

10. expresso

expresso Regular member

hey - i got it working -- i restored back to my xp pro and works fine
    dont have to change any audio files or convert nothing - :)

took a whole 10 min to restore - and xp feels pretty good actually -

i been using vista ultimate for a few months now - its ok - 64 bit but not great - nothing really works good and really not that fast just yet
    maybe new drivers etc. would help -

anyway thanks - i use xp for a while and update it for a new image after i put all my ringtones back on my phone first

thanks for your help

11. mambin

mambin Member

Glad you got it working!

12. expresso

expresso Regular member

yeah me too - thanks - i am sticking with my xp for a while :)