1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tray wont open

Discussion in 'PS2' started by L-Burna, Oct 30, 2004.

1. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

It sounds to me like you pinched the reset/eject cable to your PS2 when putting the cover back on.The other thing would be to use something safer man,the swipecard is alright,but can lead to further damage of your tray and even worse destroy your PS2.I think you should open up your PS2 again,and look to see if the ribbon cable is pinched,if it is then just replace the ribbon cable.If it isn't then there is a possibility of a broken PS2.

2. nachoguy

nachoguy Member

its been open the whole time. and what do you mean pinch in the ribbon? there are 2 folds in the ribbon...but those were there when i opened it. and if the ribbon is damaged should the ps2 still start up? i mean the fan and stuff come on?

3. nachoguy

nachoguy Member

I use swap magic...I turned my ps2 on, put swap magic in, and reset it. When it said load disc i put my slide card tool in...and it wouldnt open the tray. It was like the tray was jammed. after 10 minutes of powering on/off, using the eject button, reset button, and trying to use the slide card i had no idea what was wrong so i decided to take the top off. i unscrewed everything and removed the top making sure to be carefull of the eject/reset ribbon. then i took off the other litte thing on top of the tray. then i powered up, and the tray would only come out about 1/3 of the way. the eject button pulled it out about 1/3 of the way, then closed it. i couldnt open it manually either. i powered it off, then immediatly powered it back up...but it wont come on. i was carefull not to rip out or damage the ribbon from the eject button, but it wont even turn on now. the fan wont even come on. i hit the power and absolutely nothing happens. so...

#1 what was wrong with my tray? seems more than a motor malfuction because it is really jammed and wont open even manually.

#2 is my ps2 fucked now that it wont power up? or will it power up after i put it all back together(doesnt make sense since it powered up the first time i opened it)

# 3 if my tray is permanently broken what are my options?

#4 if my ps2 is broke where can i buy a cheap console? all i need is just a replacement console then.

4. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

No the PS2 will not give power access if the ribbon cable is damaged.The reset/eject button is your power on button also.If this is damaged then you won't have any juice running to your power supply.I was wondering have you looked at it very closely and seen any marks on it besides the two creases.I am trying to help you out as best as I can,if I could see what you are dealing with I could probably give you a better idea of what your problem is.

5. nachoguy

nachoguy Member

well fusk. as i was inspecting it i drop the top case. not the whole thing, just the top part...so it ripped the ribbon right out. i guess it doesnt matter if it was damaged before because it is now.

6. nachoguy

nachoguy Member

ok something was off with the tray, but after monkeying around i got it back on track and its opening and closing properly. but it still wont power up. all the connections are fine. arg. i cant play my ps2 games tonight. dammit

7. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Do'h sorry to hear that man,but I think it could have been that ribbon cable.If it is though,you can always just replace it with a new one,and it should be fixed I am hoping.

8. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Do'h sorry to hear that man,but I think it could have been that ribbon cable.If it is though,you can always just replace it with a new one,and it should be fixed I am hoping.Oh by the way nachoguy have you noticed something weird about this thread.The messages on here are all scrambled.I am not sure if you noticed it,but it is weird how the messages are all off track.

9. nachoguy

nachoguy Member

un...fusking...believable. i kept messing around with it, and i finally got it all the way disassembled, and seen where and how the ribbons plug in. i checked all the connection and replugged the reset one in then put it all back together and....BAM! it fusking works again! and my tray seems to work!

thanks for trying to help me out though man. and yeah, i seen the messages all messed up. i think it was because of daylight savings. i posted at 1:33 am....then at 2am we bounced back to 1am, or "fall back" an hour so our messages got scrambled.
    well 3 to 4 hours of fusking with this ps2 and im ready to play it finally.

10. fububoy21

fububoy21 Guest

can u tell me how u plugged it on cause i got the same problem and it dosent go on at all

11. nachoguy

nachoguy Member

follow the ribbon down to the side of the ps2, its kind of cramped up in there. you should be able to see a little plug that the ribbon fits into. its pretty hard to fit it up there, but the end of the ribbon is stiff and lets you get a grip on it.

12. XxNejixX

XxNejixX Guest

yo,do any of you kno how to use a slide card,cause i just got the new naruto game and my magic swap cd but i need to kno how to use the slide card properly if you kno anything plz help me :)

13. nachoguy

nachoguy Member

there should be guides on the internet somewhere. but anyway, you need to remove the front thing on your ps2. turn it on, and eject the tray. now turn it off. unscrew the screw on the bottom and removed the front piece of the tray. now screw the screw back in. now when you use swap magic, just boot the swap magic dvd as you would a normal ps2 game. when it says swap disc then you put the slide card with the jut sticking to the right side, and the itty bitty hook hooking back to the left, and you slide it on the left side of the tray under the tray. after you push it in, then you slide it to the right and the tray will kind of pop open. switch the disc, and then manually push the tray back in. push the slide card under the tray again in about the same spot as you stopped last time. this time you need to use that little hook to snag something and pull it to the left. you will feel the tray close when you get it. after that hit the x button. at no point during this do you hit the reset or eject buttons, that will make the ps2 read for the TOC again.