1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trials & Tribulations of DVD-VIDEO Encoding

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by Bathrone, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Bathrone

Bathrone Guest

Hi folks, at wits end here and I was hoping the knowledgeable folk maybe able to help me out.

I have a backup of a movie encoded in Xvid (1564bit rate) and AC3 (448 bitrate) audio. PC's play it fine but I dont have a dvd player that supports divx so I thought no problem.....I'll just re-encode my backup into MPEGII and author a DVD-VIDEO.

Problem 1: I dont want to loose the surround sound AC3 into stereo. Encoders like TMPEnc Xpress will only output the audio into stereo. I tried Xilsoft video convertor but its GUI is woeful and worse every time I try to encode using it, it fails immediately.

So is there a working transcoding software that supports outputing the 5.1 channell audio?

Problem 2: Since the backup is done at a bitrate of 1564, and given the capacity of DVD-VIDEO is there any benefit to encoding the MPEGII into say 4000bitrate even though the original was way less than this?

Problem 3: If there is no encoders that will give me better than stereo sound, when I try to encode using TMPEnc Xpress I always get to exactly 50% encoding after may hours and it gives a catastrophic failure message. Any ideas?

Any help is appreciated

2. the_scum1

the_scum1 Regular member

have you tried vso divxtodvd. I been using the free beta fao a week or so. Not sure about the 5.1 sound but it's a very easy to use program and it creates vob files ready to burn to dvd. I actually did 5 episodes of a tv show I had downloaded with divxtodvd then used nero recode to burn them to a dvd. The quality came out great. Might be worth a try.It's a small download