1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tricky dvdshrink problem - Any ideas???

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by dean2312, Jan 18, 2004.

1. dean2312

dean2312 Member

I have been succesfully (or so i thought) backing up my dvd collection with dvd shrink (nero 5.5.something and phillips dvd+r writer)

The problem is that these backups play on ps2, xbox, both my pc and laptop, but are useless on standalone dvd players.

Could anyone suggest what i may be doing wrong, or not doing?

The media is not an issue as the standalone plays the media if the data did not come via shrink (i.e camcorder video or mp3 files)

Please help as it is driving me nuts

Thanks

2. RWG

RWG Regular member

Take your backup(s) to a friend or neighborts house to try or go to your local DVD sales place and try. I'd say it is your DVD player.

RWG

3. dean2312

dean2312 Member

sorry, i should have made that more obvious. I have done that (not in stores though) and almost without exeption standalone players wont play them.

The thing is, my standalone will play the media, provided it didnt go through shrink first.

I will try another method of shrinking / burning, but havnt had chance yet as I'm at work.

4. slmh1296

slmh1296 Guest

I use dvd shrink to author the movie. Then use dvd2one to extract only the movie.then I use nero 5.5 to burn DO NOT use the wizard and under the new compilation make sure your under the DVD and i always use udf/iso it has not failed me yet

5. Samantha

Samantha Member

Try using either DVD shrink to rip and shrink the DVD then burn using Nero 6 Burning Rom or DVD Decrypter to rip, DVD2one to shrink then Nero 6 Burning Rom to burn. Try to burn at 4 speed or under.

6. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Sorry guys you don't need to do any of that. All you need to use is DVD Shrink itself - using other programmes in addition is pointless and does not make the disc any more compatible. Are you using the latest version of Shrink? Check the burning settings in Nero. Make sure that 'multisession' is not checked in DVD ROM option (go back yo this setting since it sometimes goes back to being checked after you have changed it). Also check that either DVD Video or DVD ROM UDF/ISO is checked for burning. Can I ask how you have concluded that it is Shrink that is causing the problem? Have you tried any other DVD Ripping/burning programmes to eliminate other causes?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2004
  7. dean2312

dean2312 Member

thanks for all your help, I have the problem sorted, tho its still a strange 1. I took the disks into a local store and tried them out, it was about a 50/50 split on what played them.

I have retried using imgtool and DVD Decrypter, this has sorted the problem.

I t has nothing to do with media, its just the way Nero and dvdshrink are interacting on this setup.

Like I said, its a strange one - If it was something I was doing wrong, they surely wouldn't have played on half the dvd players, but now the same media plays on everything first go.

I am still using shrink to cram to 1 disk, and that works fine.

The reason for thinking it was shrink alone was that i caould burn camcorder files to dvd format (same media with same nero) and they played fine.

Anyway, again , many thanks for all your help and hopefully if by chance someone else has the same problem this thread will be of use.

Just 1 note though, the obvious errors like wrong media type, using nero wizard, wrong nero dvd type etc can all be eliminated, like i said before, the disks were actually playing on a range of players, its just that other players played the same media just not when i use shrink and nero together.

8. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Glad you have now got them to play atleast. It is a little strange though. Are you using the latest version of DVD Shrink? The new version out now (v3.1.3) includes some new burning options in nero, one of which is better compatibility with +R discs. Also are you checking the correct DVD region before backing up? The latest Shrink will burn your files directly to disc.

9. RWG

RWG Regular member

dean2312-

Exactly what is the version number of your "Nero 5.5.something"?

If it's not a real late ver. of 5, you're shooting yourself in the foot. D/l and try the latest Nero 6 just for yucks.

RWG

10. Discmania

Discmania Active member

I would not recommend Nero 6 as it offers nothing more over 5.5.10.54 (latest) in terms of actual burning, except of course you will be $70 shorter or there abouts.

11. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Nero 6 comes with Recode 2, a very nice and useful DVD app.

12. Discmania

Discmania Active member

In what way exactly? Recode is just a fancy DVD ripper and there are plenty of free rippers such as DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink.

13. askyew

askyew Regular member

Recode 2 is the latest version of dvd shrink (if you dont believe me take a look at at it), but it wont rip protected dvd's. I have also heard that the quality of the Shrunken? video is even better than before. So polish up on the old dvd decryptor and make sure you got plenty of hdd space

14. askyew

askyew Regular member

Dohh! wy you little.........

Please substitute encrypted for protected.

15. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Ithink what you are saying is Recode uses the same technology as DVD Shrink - that's correct since Mr. DVD Shrink designed Recode by all accounts. Nevertheless it's hardly the same thing, especially since Shrink does recode encrypted DVD's whereas Recode does not.