1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tried advice but somethings not right

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by styx, Aug 13, 2004.

1. styx

styx Member

hey guys im new to the forums, ive tried various thigs mentioned in the threads, like the link that configures windows xp firewall, i use that hooked up a port for bit torrent, but it only got up to 23 then went back down to 4, i use dsl westel modem,

i tried the launchmodem thing in ym browser but nothing will pop up, i think its because whenever i do a seach with iexplorer adress bar the results come up in yahoo
    (any other way to get to the launch modem thing)

i use the default windows xp firewall and i have it enabled, but still download reach max of 25, i mean is that the most i can do for my d/l's or can i improve it some toher ways?

2. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Questions (Answer as numbered points like my questions please):

1. What is your actual advertised download/upload speed?

2. Have you tried disabling the actual Windows XP firewall? If not, try doing it.

3. Does your ISP block any ports.

Recommendations:

If you want to improve your speed, the first thing I would do is scan your system for spyware, using software like:-

Ad-aware 6
    Spybot S&D

Next, I would try using another client. I recommend Azureus as it is a very fast client, plus it does a check to see if your internet settings are correct for maximum speed for BitTorrent downloads.

3. styx

styx Member

i did have my firewall disabled but a friend told me to open it up and when i did that the torrent downloaded faster but it still downloads slow
    wel i dont know my exact download speed but i ran a speed test with verizon website

(verizon is my i.p) and i average just bellow a T1 connection, 166kb/sec

4. styx

styx Member

oh an no i dont think my isp blocks anyports

by the way i got azuerus seems easier to use

it says i may have a NAT problem if it stays on yellow face whole time, how can i check?

a ran a test on port 6881 and i have an NAT error :(

Last edited: Aug 13, 2004
  5. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member