1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tried search, still need guidance

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by kwyjibo, Mar 6, 2004.

1. kwyjibo

kwyjibo Member

I've searched and read through what seems like a million posts, and I haven't found the answers i'm looking for - probably because their are no definitive answers, but here is my situation:

I have what i'm pretty sure is a version 1.0 xbox, and I want to buy a chip that is solderless, can play backups, will work with xbox live (i think i read some turn off automatically??), and can support a larger hard drive. Which is the best value and where can I buy it (seems like some places that sell these are understandably kind of shady)?

Also, while I have the xbox open, i figure i might as well put in a larger hard drive (120GB), seeing as they aren't too expensive and will decrease load times. Any ideas on cheap hard drives that have shown to be compatible (should i go with 5400 or 7200, does it matter)?

Last but not least, once i have this chip, i understand i have to physically install it, but also i have to load some sort of "dashboard" on it (i'm kind of confused about this). What software/bios do i need, what version, and how do i install it (i think i understand how to get it on mirc, i just need to know what to get)?

I know this post is really long, but the info i found was confusing and sporadic, and i think it will help a lot of people by sythesizing information.

thanks in advance for any and all help

2. ABMone

ABMone Guest

just about any chip will do what you want just find any solderless you want.
    then use bios m7 or 4981

get a chip first then ask the other questions.