1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tried to copy - complete novice help please

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Drunks, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Drunks

Drunks Member

Hi

Please excuse this post if its in the wrong place but I am a total novice when it comes to this lark - maybe someone could point me in the right direction if I am wrong.

My Dad recently bought a car with a Sat Nav DVD ROM in it but the disc was missing. He went to buy a new one and the main dealer wants over £350 for it! I borrowed a disc from a mate with the same car and copied it to DVD-R but it won't work. I guess the player in the car won't recognise the disc.

Like I say I am a complete and utter novice - can you copy a DVD ROM? What media do I need? What burner? The DVD-R didn't work and I figured at £350 for a new disc I could buy the hard and software and still get change!

Any help would be great.

2. algonzo

algonzo Guest

You might have to use a burner that can burn DVD ROM, as DVD ROM and DVD-R or DVD+R are all diffrent formats.

3. leeborn

leeborn Regular member

no burner can burn dvdrom format disks. you can change booktype to make dvdr read as dvdrom though.

4. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

Drunks,
    This is what another guy on another forum did w/ the same problem. The problem is the compression that you are using confuses the Sat Nav. He had to find a friend that had a D/L burner and then burn a D/L blank disk to get it to work while also changing the booktype. This might work for you but I would try this before I spent that amount of $$ to replace The DVD-Rom

5. Drunks

Drunks Member

Thanks very much folks - I'll hunt out a D/L burner and change the booktype. Fingers crossed it works coz £350 for a new disc doesn't appeal very much!