1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trojan.peacomm

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by thecraigc, Jan 22, 2007.

1. thecraigc

thecraigc Regular member

anybody else got this thing yet?

i don't even know how i got it...

2. ireland

ireland Active member

I GOT A WARNING THIS MORNING FROM NORTON TO UPDATE ON trojan.peacomm

I was updated for that virus..

3. ireland

ireland Active member

Discovered: January 19, 2007
    Updated: January 22, 2007 04:04:42 PM GMT
    Also Known As: CME-711 [Common Malware Enumeration], TROJ_SMALL.EDW [Trend Micro], Small.DAM [F-Secure], Downloader-BAI [McAfee], Troj/Dorf-Fam [Sophos]
    Type: Trojan Horse
    Systems Affected: Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows XP

Trojan.Peacomm is a Trojan horse that drops a driver program file to download additional security threats.

Trojan.Peacomm reportedly arrives as an attachment to a spammed email with the following characteristics:

Subject:
    One of the following:

A killer at 11, he's free at 21 and kill again!
    U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has kicked German Chancellor Angela Merkel
    British Muslims Genocide
    Naked teens attack home director.
    230 dead as storm batters Europe.
    Re: Your text
    Radical Muslim drinking enemies's blood.
    Chinese missile shot down Russian satellite
    Chinese missile shot down Russian aircraft
    Chinese missile shot down USA aircraft
    Chinese missile shot down USA satellite
    Russian missile shot down USA aircraft
    Russian missile shot down USA satellite
    Russian missile shot down Chinese aircraft
    Russian missile shot down Chinese satellite
    Saddam Hussein safe and sound!
    Saddam Hussein alive!
    Venezuelan leader: "Let's the War beginning".
    Fidel Castro dead.

Attachment:
    One of the following:

FullVideo.exe
    Full Story.exe
    Video.exe
    Read More.exe
    FullClip.exe
    GreetingPostcard.exe
    MoreHere.exe
    FlashPostcard.exe
    GreetingCard.exe
    ClickHere.exe
    ReadMore.exe
    FlashPostcard.exe
    FullNews.exe
    http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2007-011917-1403-99

4. ireland

ireland Active member

removel

Discovered: January 19, 2007
    Updated: January 22, 2007 04:04:42 PM GMT
    Also Known As: CME-711 [Common Malware Enumeration], TROJ_SMALL.EDW [Trend Micro], Small.DAM [F-Secure], Downloader-BAI [McAfee], Troj/Dorf-Fam [Sophos]
    Type: Trojan Horse
    Systems Affected: Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows XP

The following instructions pertain to all current and recent Symantec antivirus products, including the Symantec AntiVirus and Norton AntiVirus product lines.

Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP).
    Update the virus definitions.
    Run a full system scan.
    Delete any values added to the registry.

For specific details on each of these steps, read the following instructions.

1. To disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP)
    If you are running Windows Me or Windows XP, we recommend that you temporarily turn off System Restore. Windows Me/XP uses this feature, which is enabled by default, to restore the files on your computer in case they become damaged. If a virus, worm, or Trojan infects a computer, System Restore may back up the virus, worm, or Trojan on the computer.

Windows prevents outside programs, including antivirus programs, from modifying System Restore. Therefore, antivirus programs or tools cannot remove threats in the System Restore folder. As a result, System Restore has the potential of restoring an infected file on your computer, even after you have cleaned the infected files from all the other locations.

Also, a virus scan may detect a threat in the System Restore folder even though you have removed the threat.

For instructions on how to turn off System Restore, read your Windows documentation, or one of the following articles:
    How to disable or enable Windows Me System Restore
    How to turn off or turn on Windows XP System Restore

Note: When you are completely finished with the removal procedure and are satisfied that the threat has been removed, reenable System Restore by following the instructions in the aforementioned documents.

For additional information, and an alternative to disabling Windows Me System Restore, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article: Antivirus Tools Cannot Clean Infected Files in the _Restore Folder (Article ID: Q263455).

2. To update the virus definitions
    Symantec Security Response fully tests all the virus definitions for quality assurance before they are posted to our servers. There are two ways to obtain the most recent virus definitions:
    Running LiveUpdate, which is the easiest way to obtain virus definitions:
    If you use Norton AntiVirus 2006, Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.0, or newer products, LiveUpdate definitions are updated daily. These products include newer technology.
    If you use Norton AntiVirus 2005, Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 9.0, or earlier products, LiveUpdate definitions are updated weekly. The exception is major outbreaks, when definitions are updated more often.
    Downloading the definitions using the Intelligent Updater: The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are posted daily. You should download the definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site and manually install them. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by the Intelligent Updater, refer to Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater).

The latest Intelligent Updater virus definitions can be obtained here: Intelligent Updater virus definitions. For detailed instructions read the document: How to update virus definition files using the Intelligent Updater.

3. To run a full system scan
    Start your Symantec antivirus program and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files.
    For Norton AntiVirus consumer products: Read the document: How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files.
    For Symantec AntiVirus Enterprise products: Read the document: How to verify that a Symantec Corporate antivirus product is set to scan all files.
    Run a full system scan.
    If any files are detected, follow the instructions displayed by your antivirus program.

Important: If you are unable to start your Symantec antivirus product or the product reports that it cannot delete a detected file, you may need to stop the risk from running in order to remove it. To do this, run the scan in Safe mode. For instructions, read the document, How to start the computer in Safe Mode. Once you have restarted in Safe mode, run the scan again.

After the files are deleted, restart the computer in Normal mode and proceed with the next section.

Warning messages may be displayed when the computer is restarted, since the threat may not be fully removed at this point. You can ignore these messages and click OK. These messages will not appear when the computer is restarted after the removal instructions have been fully completed. The messages displayed may be similar to the following:

Title: [FILE PATH]
    Message body: Windows cannot find [FILE NAME]. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

4. To delete the value from the registry
    Important: Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before making any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify the specified subkeys only. For instructions refer to the document: How to make a backup of the Windows registry.

Click Start > Run.
    Type regedit
    Click OK.

Note: If the registry editor fails to open the threat may have modified the registry to prevent access to the registry editor. Security Response has developed a tool to resolve this problem. Download and run this tool, and then continue with the removal.

Navigate to and delete the following subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wincom32

Exit the Registry Editor.

Writeup By: Masaki Suenaga
    http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2007-011917-1403-99&tabid=3

5. thecraigc

thecraigc Regular member

thanx man.

i too got the message from symantec, and installed the thingy ( very technical term. lol ) for it and it was still saying it was a threat and whatever.

so then i scanned with AVG and found something totally different... WHOOHOO!! and got rid of it.

but the trojan.peacomm was still there, so i done windows + R then typed regedit...

but "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wincom32" was not even there :-(

but i restored it to yesterday, and all is well.

so thanx for the info man. ;-)

6. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

Does anyone know what this is about

an email I received this morning from A/D.

7. thecraigc

thecraigc Regular member

that happens to me quite a lot... i think its just in finnish.

just the other day i got an e-mail from aD and it said blasteroids on it, with a link to aD...

8. fjm9

fjm9 Guest

i got this n i cant update norton
    wat else can i do

9. Ripper

Ripper Active member

@ fjm9: Read that ^^

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  10. thecraigc

thecraigc Regular member

@ fjm9 -- and if that doesn't work, just restore your comp. to an earlier date.

11. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Everybody got that, just go to Norton's website and do the manual update and i will be fixed. I had that yesterday but didn't feel like fixing it since my subscription was up anyway. So now i have AVG and i ran that and i had no viruses

12. himitsu

himitsu Member

I did a full computer scan
    and it deleted all the files that
    had viruses in it, but the trojan.peacomm
    in the nortan won't seem to go away.
    And I also tried to find the
    wincom32, but it was also already deleted..
    can someone help me please?

13. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum