1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trojans and Viruses

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by emachine, Apr 12, 2007.

1. emachine

emachine Guest

I have a firewalled billion router and I was thinking about setting up p2p. On an old pc. The problem is I have heard that when you open ports on a router than if I get a viruses or trojan it could go to all the PCs on the network. True? And the p2p program has an option for UPnP or Universal plug and play. So if I did that will other pc's in the network still be at risk? And is there anyway to make sure the viruses would not infect the network?

Thanks Sorry about the length.

2. emachine

emachine Guest

If anybody knows anything I would appreciate the help.

3. emachine

emachine Guest

4. janrocks

janrocks Guest

All networks are at risk.. Fact of life. They are only as secure as your firewall makes them, that said most trojans require some interaction from the user, accessing a dubious website, running a downloaded screensaver or video.. That kind of thing. There are a few exploits that can force a way in, but to have your network breached you normally need more than a wild automated program.. It takes a conscious controlling hand, or your intrusion alarms will go off and your firewall logs will fill up with intrusion attempts.

upnp should always be disabled on any hardware used to link a secure internal network to the internet, with only the ports you know about open, stealthed, and bound to an application..

That said here is a list of known trojan ports.. It's better to avoid any on this list for p2p activity.

http://www.sans.org/resources/idfaq/oddports.php