1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble backing up DVDs

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Serrin, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Serrin

Serrin Member

Okay, here's my story. I just installed a new Pioneer burner, tested it out by burning some normal files to a DVD, and I was able to retrieve them just fine. So the burner works at least somewhat.

However, following the steps outlined in the copying DVD to DVD-R guide using DVD Decrypter, I can't make a copy to save my soul. I was able to use Decrypter to make an image of the movie (which is something like .2 gig under the limit of 4.6) and when I mounted it to a virtual drive using Alcohol 120%, I could play it back perfectly fine. So the image is good.

I've made three coasters and saved myself countless more using various simulation features. Now, I've tried burning with DVD Decrypter, failed. Tried Alcohol, failed. Tried DVD X-Copy, no luck. Nero? Not a chance. In fact, Nero doesn't even recognize Decrypter's format, it only likes bins, and isos, and hates anything ending in .mds.

Here's the error message from my latest attempt, which I achieved by trying to mount the movie on an Alcohol created virtual drive, and burning it on the fly with my Pioneer, using Alcohol. Convoluted and pointless? Yes, but after trying every other possible permutation of options, programs, and methods I could think of, I figured one more couldn't hurt. Anyway, error message as follows:

06:28:51 Simulated recording - DVD DAO - 1.0X (1380 KB/Sec)
    06:30:13 (M:) PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-107D(0:1) - [Write ERROR] LBA: 3440, Length: 16
    S:KEY - 05/21/02 - "Invalid Address For Write"
    06:30:13 (M:) PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-107D(0:1): Recording failed!
    06:30:13 Error message: [05/21/02] - Invalid Address For Write
    06:30:13 (M:) PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-107D(0:1): Simulated recording failed!
    06:30:13 Disc dumping aborted!

For what it's worth, I'm using GQ media until I can get some Riteks. The error always occurs as soon as it tries burning (i.e. right after it fills up the buffer and starts actually trying to do something), and similar errors result no matter what program I use. Even simulated burning doesn't work, so I don't think it's the media. I could be wrong though.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Download DVDshrink if you don't already have it. Shrink will rip, decrypt, and compress the larger dvd movies to fit a blank dvd disc. It can be set up to auto burn with either Nero or Decrypter as the burn engine. This will put the ripped files in the proper place and order to give you a good burn. See this guide.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd9_to_dvdr_with_dvd_shrink.cfm

That should give you a good start. Come back with any questions or items you don't understand.

Jerry

Last edited: Jun 1, 2004
  3. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Serrin, u can also download DVD43(free), it will rip running in the background, and then go to Nero Recode, which does what shrink does and burn from there. Either way should work, both are fine programs. happy blazing..... [​IMG]
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]........Dell Media4600, XP home,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz, 512MB, 280 HD w/8MB, 17" flat panel, AIO-A920, 8x DVD-ROM, integrated 5.1 audio, HP dc4000, Plextor PX-708UF[/small]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2004
  4. Volcom915

Volcom915 Member

yes, I to would recomend DVD Shrink

5. oneacer

oneacer Regular member

Here you go, follow these steps and you should be on your way.

Simple DVD Backup Steps

First create a folder for your HD backup. Try to put it someplace where you won’t forget it (i.e. C:/All DVD Work/ (movie name will appear here).

Next download DVD Decrypted (link below) and under mode select “ISO, Write”. Un-tick the box that says “verify”. Where it says “source”, you’ll leave that blank, as DVD Decrypter will find the location of your backed up DVD file automatically. Lastly, where it says “Destination”, select the drive where your burner resides. Feel free to close DVD Decrypter; DVD Shrink will open it when it needs it.

The link for the newest DVD Decrypter -
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm

Download DVD Shrink (link below). Open it and click “Edit”, then click “Preferences” on this page we’re going to select “DVD Target Size” as custom and set the size as 4360MB - we do this to make extremely sure that our disc isn’t too large. Then under the “File I/O” tab un-tick “Enable burning with Nero” then click “OK”.

The link for the newest DVD Shrink -
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm

Place your original DVD in your DVD-ROM drive and a DVD blank in your burner’s drive. (Many people suggest using Ritek G04, Verbatim or media boasting “Advanced AZO Dye. All other media could very well cause errors, only the very best media should be used for DVD Video backups. Now is definitely not the time to put your cheap stuff in, although there are a lot of people that have success with the cheaper media including myself. )

Now, take just a second and under “Target Device” go to “Select target device” once there, select “ISO Disc Image”. NEXT, IMPORTANT, tick “Launch DVD Decrypter to burn the output image” box. Finally, where it says “Select target image file”, browse till you find your created folder for your backup and click “Save”. That’s it! Click “OK” and DVD Shrink burns that ISO image to your HD. It then opens DVD Decrypter and has it burn the ISO image to your waiting blank DVD.

P.S. Before you rip with Shrink, you have the option of selecting entire disk or selecting re-author. Most of the time before I rip with Shrink, I select re-author and then double-click on main movie. This moves over only the main movie to the left to be ripped. I don't even bother with the menus, as you can still select chapters with your player.

Don’t use your PC for anything at all while it’s working. -

Good Luck

Special thanks go out to Scuba Pete for this article.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2004
  6. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

google for aspi check, download the file and run it, it will tell you if you have aspi installed

My dru510ak would burn +r, cd's but not -r, turns out aspi was missing, reinstalled (google for adaptec aspi or force aspi) and no more errors.
    Btw, it would only burn the lead in then hang

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member