1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trouble backing up Spy Game - Please Help

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by lilhelp, Jul 10, 2002.

1. lilhelp

lilhelp Member

I am relatively new to this whole thing, but everyone here seems so knowledgeable so I could use some help. I have been backing up DVD-9s to 9.4GB DVDRs (double-sided). I want to keep all the menus, streams, extras...everything. I have successfully backed up about 3 using tutorials on doom9 and mpucoder, but now I am having problems with Spy Game. Sorry for the lengthy post.

Here is what I do:
    1. Rip all files with SmartRipper.

2. Opened VIDEO_TS with IfoEdit. Title 1 is the main movie on VTS_1, but Title 2 is also on VTS_1 (I think title 2 is some easter egg version of the movie).

3. Opened VTS_1 with IfoEdit and split to 2 DVDRs (I just used the default settings). Split on the cell that IfoEdit chose for me (which is in Chapter 13). Put them each in VIDEO_TS folders within a Disc1 folder and a Disc2 folder.

4. Copied the 3 VIDEO_TS files and the VTS_01_0 file to both Disc1 and Disc2 folders. Then I copied all the extras (the other VTS_xy files to Disc2 folder.

5. Now, when I used IfoEdit and did DVD Play at the beginning of all this, it played Title 45 (a "this film has been modified" movie) right after choosing play in the title menu and watching the R rated screen and right before the movie starts. Then if I decide to change the audio to DTS in the menu, it then plays Title 43 (a DTS intro movie) right after selecting DTS and right before playing the movie. So based on all this, I knew that I had to have the files for Title 43 (VTS_08) and the files for Title 45 (VTS_10) in the Disc1 folder. I grabbed the IFO, BUP, and both VOB files (_0 and _1) for each one of those.

6. Now I go in and modify the number of chapters in the VIDEO_TS folders in Disc1 and Disc2 folders.

7. Next I did the region free, and remove P-UPs.

8. Last but not least, I did the Get VTS Sectors.

Now after that, when I use IfoEdit to open the VIDEO_TS file in my Disc1 folder to make sure the movie works right, it plays beautifully. No errors, nothing. I then create an AUDIO_TS folder in my Disc1 folder just for safety sake. Then I create an image of the folder with IfoEdit's image tool (.img file). Then I use PrimoDVD 2.0 to burn the image to disc. It burns just fine.

Now I go to play it in my Sony S360 where all my other DVDRs play. It starts just fine, does the intro thing and ends up at the title menu. When I choose play in the menu, it shows the R rated screen and then it freezes. You can hear the player searching on the disc. Eventually I get the Sony C:13:00 error. So I try again. This time I go to the language menu and choose DTS and answer yes to the question to use DTS. Then it freezes again and gives me the C:13:00 error. So I try again. This time I go to chapter selection and choose chapter 1 and it plays just fine. So it looks like the problem is with those titles 43 and 45 that appear in those places where it froze on playback, except that I have the VTS files associated with those titles on the freakin disc! So why can't it play them?

I know this may seem petty since the movie still plays, but I really am mostly interested in making exact back ups of my movies. I have spent a week on this problem. If anyone can help, it would be very very appreciated.

I am using Windows 2000 Pro, SmartRipper 2.25, IfoEdit .91, and PrimoDVD 2.0 with Pioneer A03 drive. Thanks again.

2. lilhelp

lilhelp Member

Alright, I have been looking over doom9 forums again for the last few hours. The best thing I can come up with is that I need to either figure out why my setup described above doesn't work, or I need some very kind person to tell me how to read the code in IfoEdit so that I can determine how to find the point in the menu that tells the movie to play Title 43 and change it so that it plays Title 1. Does that make sense? The problem is that the code doesn't make it simple by saying Jump to Titleset..., instead it says things like Set GPreg<1> mov (set-val)... or (CallSS VMGM) Call VMG PGC: 5... and I don't know what any of that means.

I understand what pre and post commands are, but I don't know how to locate the spots in the menus that tell the movie to play Title 43 or Title 45n or how to translate the code. I would be very grateful to any of the experienced members if they could help me. Is there some place in one of these files that says something like PGC 5 = X menu or X vob or X title or something?

Many thanks,
    Brice

3. lilhelp

lilhelp Member

Doesn't anyone out there no how to help me? :)

I have figured one other thing out. Today I tried burning it with Nero. I just dragged and dropped the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders into Nero and followed the instructions that Trilight gave on doom9 (ISO 9660, uncheck Joliet, and don't relax the ISO settings). It burned fine and then it actually played back perfectly on the PC. No freezes this time. But then I went down and tried the disc in my Sony and I got the error "cannot read this disc." Strange considering I haven't changed any of the files that were burnt and I was using media that I know works in the player. I am totally confused. Anyone have any suggestions? Please?

Thanks,
    Brice