1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trouble backing-up star wars episode 4

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by f150, Sep 28, 2004.

1. f150

f150 Member

I am trying to back-up star wars episode 4.
    using dvd x copy ver.3.2.1 receiving error ocurred
    reading sectors! data:4/176.
    tried two diffrenet dvds same error.
    thanks for any help.

2. kyle1528

kyle1528 Guest

Hey i dont have an answer to your question but i had the same problem backing up the disc with dvd x copy. Does anyone know of a program that can successfully back up the new starwars dvds?

3. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

[bold]All XCopy questions should be posted in Afterdawn's XCopy forum.
    http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com[/bold]

DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter w/ CloneDVD2 or AnyDVD w/ CloneDVD2 will work. That is what I used, didn't try other programs :)

4. DigitalSk

DigitalSk Regular member

Good Day,

I Burned all 4 dics of the new trilogy with no problems. I used DVD Schrink. You should give it a try...

5. tanya1987

tanya1987 Member

yeh i agree i would use dvd shink and dvd decypter together they are sweet as

6. Berkner80

Berkner80 Regular member

F150-I used DVDdecrypter and DVDshrink to extract the files from Star Wars IV. These are free and I had no problems with reading the disk.
    DigitalSK-I am also trying to backup Star Wars. How much compression did you have with using DVDshrink? The lowest I could get it to was about 60%. To me that wasn't enough so I am trying to split to two DVD's using ifoedit. How was the quality using DVDshrink?

7. forkndave

forkndave Member

I backed up all 4 discs in the set. The first set I got had CRC errors on Episode 4 and the bonus disc. No scratches, just poor manufacturing, I suppose. Got another set and no problems. I did full disc copies with only the foreign languages removed. I used DVD Shrink with deep analysis and AEC set to maximum smoothness. It took 2-3 hours for each disc. The results are excellent, considering the compression level is around 50%. I find that deep analysis and the AEC setting make quite a difference if the compression is under about 75%. It's too bad it takes so long. I burned using Nero, but I don't think the burning program affects the end result that much. I've used Nero, Decrypter, Record Now and another one or two and couldn't see any difference. They either work or don't. I used an NTI program once and other than taking twice as long it produced the same results.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Soyo KT-600 Ultra Platinum, XP 3000+, 1024 MB PC 3200
    160 GB Maxtor SATA, 60 GB Seagate IDE
    Lite-On LDW 411S@811S, Lite-On SOHD 167T, Pioneer A07
    GF FX 5600 Ultra[/small]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
  8. Unjust2u

Unjust2u Regular member

hello , i just wanted to say i used Scuba Petes guide (that man is a god !) with dvd decrypter and dvd shrink for star wars trilogy and the compression was about 60 percent on my 20 inch flat screen tv it looked great and on my 65 inch mitsubishi playing with a harmen karden dvd player and harmen karden reciever it was decent :) thank you scuba pete :)

9. Unjust2u

Unjust2u Regular member

hello again ...forgot to ad that i had to burn them at 2x speed or i got an error saying bad media when trying to burn at 8x speed ...media was dvd+r 8x k hypermedia

10. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

You should try Verbatim or Ritek's ... and burn at 4x :)

11. DigitalSk

DigitalSk Regular member

[bold]Berkner80[/bold]

I burned my SW DVD's with all the Menus & Extras.
    This is the compression I got:

Ep4: 60%
    Ep5: 57%
    EP6: 57%
    Bonus: 55.5%

Regards,
    DigitalSkull
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Pentium 4 1.8 MHZ
    Windows XP Pro
    768Mb Ram: 3X 256 MB Ram Pc133
    Sound blaster Live 5.1 Gamer
    Ge Force 4 440mmx 64Mb Tv Out
    MotherBoard: ASUS Tec P4B
    Hard Drive: 30 Gig
    CD Rom LG 52X
    DVD RAM LG 12X8X12
    Floppy 3.44
    Sparkle Power Supply 3[/small]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2004
  12. Tmaxxfan

Tmaxxfan Member

I am fairly new to dvd backup so this may be an odd question. I have been reading about different compression numbers when backing up the star wars trilogy, and i have seen numbers on this like 60% for episode IV (A New Hope) for example does 60% compression make for worse picture quality.. Please excuse my ignorance in this field, but any explanation of these numbers and their sugnifigance to quality would be greatly appreciated.

13. juca39

juca39 Guest

Tmaxxfan
    When you shrink it gives you a percentage number. The more you shrink the lower the number is. For instance if the number is 65% you are actually shrinking 35%. When the number is above 80% you almost will not notice any difference from the original when watching the movie in a large TV (50 inches). When the number is lower than 80% than, if using DVD shrink, you should do a Deep Analisys to improve quality, it works and the outcome is better. But before shrinking take your time to get rid of things you don't need in your DVD, like subtitles, menus and extras. Many times getting rid of these things your Shrinking number should be near 80%. Many times you have to choose if you want a movie with a very good quality or you want a whole DVD with not that much.

14. Tmaxxfan

Tmaxxfan Member

Thanks so much for your explaination makes things much more clear in my mind