1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble Booting Since DVD/RW Install

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Alanj72, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Alanj72

Alanj72 Guest

This may be out of context with this forum, yet it could be totally related and experienced by some who may recognize the symptoms. At this point I don't have a clue what's wrong. If you ask me to go to a troubleshooting of hardware forum, I will do so.

I had gotten and installed a new DVD Recorder ( Pioneer 107) which replaced a CD-Recorder. The installation went fine, but I had problems burning a dvd movie. I could only get an image of the movie burning at about 500kb/sec ( the image burned fine with dvd shrink). One time out of several tries I burned to a dvd at 3.9X on my 4X media. The back to the same after that.

Although not at first, but now, when I boot my PC up it will proceed to Windows XP then blink out and reboot. It will then get to much the same point and blink out and reboot again. On each 3rd time I enter Windows normally except the screen goes blank for a second, but goes back on and all is fine.

I have an Abit KT7a motherboard with an Athlon 1.2 G processor and 512k RAM. I have 2 drives on my first IDE cable/ master,slave and my new DVD Recorder and DVD player on my second IDE cable. The recorder set to master. Never any problems with my cd-writer which burned fine at 48X. The recorder has replaced that and I put in new firmware (legal) right away. Just yesterday there was an even newer firmware posted and I put that on. I don't get any error messages, although my floppy drive light goes on from time to time when accessing something from the other drives. ( maybe normal?)

So, I have to go through 2 reboots until I finally get straight and even then I can't make the recorder repeat a "perfect" burn at the right speed again.
    Sorry about being so long, but I wanted to get everything I could think of in so you would pretty much know what I have and what's going on. I find nothing to explain why this is happening and hope I have related my problem to the DVD drive.
    Thanks for any suggestions,

2. vicster

vicster Guest

Hi Al, Have you gone into your bios settings to check your startup settings? Are you running xp, 2000 or 98? I don't see which operating system you have. Although I could be blind. It could be that the os is trying to look for the old drive and trying to asign a new letter to the new drive. Have you checked to make sure all cables are attached firmly. Do you have the jumpers on the drives set properly eg. slave and master jumpers. Another idea but a time consuming one is to do a full re-install and start fresh. I know, what your going to say.. and I agree re-installing takes a long time and a pain in the.

3. vicster

vicster Guest

oops sorry noticed you are running xp. Try going to
    conrtol panel/administrative tools/computer management. select disk management. Your new drive may not be listed there so you'll have to setup in there

4. Alanj72

Alanj72 Guest

Well, I never did check in there before, but yes, it was listed and looks ok. Windows XP put IT'S driver in there and I don't know if THAT could be an issue. I can check Pioneer site for a driver ( if they have an XP one).

The jumpers ARE set right and I know I put the connections on pretty good, but I will re-check to be sure. I just got through doing a clean install of XP about a month ago, and yes it was a pain in the....

I'm trying to to look at this issue as one, but I suppose my booting problem and slow, way slow, burning have really nothing to do with each other, but the only thing I have done before this all started was to instal the new DVD and put the firmware in. I'll check the site again, but I'm pretty sure the firmware was right, plus it was not burning right from day one ( which was only 3 days ago). I have always had good luck with new hardware. This is the first time I have not gotten something working fairly quickly and I don't have a clue. Oh yes, also all my settings say DMA.

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey Al,

Did you know that when you're encoding and burning DVD's your PC works harder than at any other time -

These chores are gruling for a PC to say the very least -

OK, OK, What are ya trying to say there ole ScubaPete ?
    What I'm trying to get across is that your PC's processor is really cooking and when the temp gets too high (I think I read it was over 820 degrees) to save the system it shuts it down in order to cool off -

You might want to look into cooling your processor down a bit more. If in fact this is the case, once lowering your PC's processor temp you'll "Fly" right through the process.
    How to cool it down - -> install another fan or an additional heat-sink :) If you have over-clocked your processor for gaming you might really want to consider twerling that bad Boy back -

Your symptoms sound right for this to be considered -

Pete

6. Alanj72

Alanj72 Guest

You know, you may have something there. I know I should have another fan. I have a utility somewhere to check temp.

It was in the back of my head and you brought it to the front. No, I'm not overclocking----well wait. With xteq I may have done some tweaking. Also in the bios I have my AGP video on turbo ( been that way for a long time with no problems. Now----I had no problems burning CD's. Could fly with 48X. Are dvd's prone to use more or get the system hotter than burning Cd's?

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

That's what I attempt to get across to all the Newbies -

NOTHING is harder than doing DVD's. CD's pale in comparison -

Huuummm, how shall I out this -

YES, IT GETS HOTTER !!!!!!!

8. Alanj72

Alanj72 Guest

Well, I think I got the message. And yes. Dvd's IS a brand new ball game, as I'm finding out.

That's why there are advanced guys like yourself out there to hold us by the hand. Keep us from beating the darn thing with a hammer!!
    I will opt for a fan which I need anyway, so that's my next stop

9. RWG

RWG Regular member

Alanj72,

The MS driver for your burner is fine. Remove the burner in Device Manager and let XP find it again. Defrag, scan for virus, run Adaware and/or Spybot.

luck-

10. Alanj72

Alanj72 Guest

OK. I will do so,
    Thanks. I never even thought of in re-install, which fo many other things has worked in the past. I did however delete the secondary IDE in devicve manager because it had P01 instead of DMA listed. That fixed that and I never thought about reinstalling the recorder itself.
    Thanks,

11. Alanj72

Alanj72 Guest

I just re-installed the dvd recorder (F) and it shows up in my computer, hardware devices, but NOT in one place. Thats the Administrative Tools--Computer Management---Disk Management. I know it did before.
    It now shows My 2 hard drives, and my DVD Player and 2 virtual drives. But not My DVD Recorder. Is this an issue?

12. RWG

RWG Regular member

I just checked Disk Management on my system. I had the disc tray out on the DVD-ROM and DVD Burner and neither one showed. I pushed the trays in and they appeared in Management. Look again with all trays closed. Find it?

later-

13. Alanj72

Alanj72 Guest

Yes, I have it now. But I've been trying and trying everything including reinstalling Nero 6. I've tried everything there is to try. I got one burn at the right speed which took about 16 minutes. Every other burn went right down to 500k/sec, even when Nero showed the time counting down from 14 minutes. The ONLY thing that I haven't done is switch media and I'm sure the right media will be best, I dojn't think that's my problem ( opinion).
    I must simply let it go for now because there isn't any darn thing I can do about it. You guys are pretty thorough with your advice and even watching the temperature to see if I'm overheating checks fine.There does not seem to be any reason why I can't burn at speed ( faulty recorder?). I must go and feel sorry for myself for a while and come back to it when I can think of something else to do.
    Thanks for all the help. At least I covered every base ( except one) which is doing this to me. Oh boy!!

14. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya Alanj72,

Have just read through the thread, and you are having a rare old time of it :eek:

Before you run off or give up, can we just get some info??

1 - can you list ALL IDE devices, their specs, their positions on the IDE chain....
    2 - can you tell us the CURRENT state of DMA/PIO on ALL these devices (individually please)
    3 - can you tell us what kind of IDE cables you are using on each chain (40 pin/40 conductor OR 40 pin/80 conductor).

Cheers....

15. Alanj72

Alanj72 Guest

I'm just running off to work, but I can give a real quick answer without much detail for now.
    The ide connectors are the 80 pin. I have 2 hard drives connected to the primary and a dvd connected to the secondary, along with the burner---which is the master. I checked and DMA is set. It's the same set-up as I had with my cd-writer which I replaced with the dvd-r. the driver is Microsoft and it says cd but I guess it means dvd,too. The temp is normal ( although I could use another fan. The recorder PLAYS a dvd just fine. And I've checked the burning speed configuration in Nero and any other checks seem to be proper.
    Can't thgink of much more. When I get home I can give you more. The answer is there somewhere. Probably simple, but.....
    Thanks for the post.

16. Alanj72

Alanj72 Guest

I have one more thing to throw out.... and that being my power supply. Is it possible, or probable that my 230W power supply is not cutting it when I try to burn a dvd? It has been fine up 'till now.

17. drchips

drchips Active member