1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble burning with nero

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by poobanger, Dec 30, 2003.

1. poobanger

poobanger Member

I have nero version 6.3.0.2
    I followed the directions on how to rip and shrink using dvdShrink, and how to burn using nero. In nero it says that it is writing at 2x speed, but the "completed %" reads 0% the whole time and when the time remaining expires nothing happens. When I take the disc out of the burner only a tiny bit looks like it has been written on.

Now I am trying to burn a non-protected dvd with roxio and it has stopped at 67%... i recently connected a Adaptec high speed usb port to my laptop. could this be the problem? there is a message the says the dvd recorder is connected and working properly

Last edited: Dec 30, 2003
  2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

poobanger,

I have found out that there about 3 places that people get hung up -

Here are all 3 step by steps, (I think you got lost on the last one) - retry that last one and I think you'll be Kool -

Pete

HINT:
    I create a folder on my HD named "DVD Work" and before ripping my DVD’s I create another sub-folder with the name of the movie I'm backing up. (I.e. DVD Work\Pirates of the Caribbean.) When you click "Backup" in DVDShrink, a box will come up saying "Target Folder:” click "Browse" and trace your path back to "DVD Work\ Pirates of the Caribbean " - when DVDShrink is finished, it will give you your VIDEO_TS folder already made for you in your DVD Work\ Pirates of the Caribbean folder and you’re good to go. Now, if you wish, you can burn it days down the road. At one point I had 23 movies sitting there, just waiting for my shipment of blank DVD media to arrive.

When you wish to burn, use the "File Browser" in Nero (don’t use Wizard) to trace your path back again to DVD Work\ Pirates of the Caribbean, you don’t have to try to remember where your work is or if you need to do anymore work on it, it is completely finished, ready to go – you are done and done –

Enjoy, “P”

HINT:
    When using DVDShrink

When using DVDShrink, after inserting your DVD, open Shrink, click “Open Disk”, after Shrink has opened your disc, anywhere from 30 seconds to 1 ½ minutes you’ll see the size of the disc at the bar at the top of stems the page. If you are in the “Red”, simply check off those files you don’t want, I.E. Outer Mongolian or Eastern Yak Basin language, or extra audio files – I keep ACS 6ch, ACS 2ch and Dolby 5.1 if it’s there, most of the rest you can trash. Only do that if you need to lose some stuff to make it fit. You can also gain more room by clicking “Ratio” and increasing the compression - remember, more compression a tiny bit less on the picture quality – when I say “less quality” I’m speaking of theoretically less, nothing you can see with the naked eye.
    “P”

and

Hint:
    When using Nero
    How to burn using Nero 6.0.
    Step by Step –
    Do not use Nero Wizard.
    When you open Nero Burning ROM, you will be at the “New Compilation” window. Directly under the title “New Compilation” is a choice block to choose either DVD or CD, choose DVD. Directly under that click on DVD Video. Then click “New” in the upper right corner of that screen, NOT the main screen.
    You now are in the DVD Video window. In the left screen, click VIDEO_TS. In the File Browser screen, 3rd from the left, trace your path to the DVDShrink folder holding your work and click on that folder. All of your VIDEO_TS files are now opened in the right screen. Click on the top file, hold down the “Shift” key and then click the bottom file thereby hi-lighting the entire column of files. Click and (holding the left mouse button down) drag the entire column of files to the open screen, second from the left.
    Now click the icon on the task bar that shows a match on a disc, and then click “Burn” and Baby, now you are done !!!
    Keep all fingers and toes away from Mr. Computer.
    Go and have your coffee, when Nero is done, it will let you know.

“P”

3. poobanger

poobanger Member

Tried that... same result

Now I am trying to burn a non-protected dvd with roxio and it has idled at 67%... i recently connected a Adaptec high speed usb port to my laptop. could this be the problem? there is a message the says the dvd recorder is connected and working properly

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi poobanger, If your software and burner worked before the USB port was added, I would guess that it is causing the problem. It shouldn't but the only way you will know is to remove it at try again. Also take a close look at the original disc you are trying to copy. A very slight smudge or scratch may be causing the 67% error.
    Jerry
    Hi Pete. Happy New year

5. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

Also, try other source discs and if you have different drives, try them, too.