1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trouble converting avi to mpeg-2 with multiple programs

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by car1ef, Apr 17, 2005.

1. car1ef

car1ef Member

I am having a large problem with conveting two seperate avi files into mpeg-2...

I have used a few different programs to try to encode (tmpgenc, cucusoft avitodvd) and tried to guide here on afterdawn http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_avi_to_dvd.cfm with no luck...

Most of the time within the first few minutes of encoding both programs will shutdown and restart my computer, once TMPGEnc gave me the error message "Read Error ocurred at address 000FD4B3 of Module 'TMPGEnc.exe' with FFFFFFE0"...

Both avi files were downloaded off the "inter-web" , my puter specs are...

MSI K7N2 Delta2 MoBo
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton o.c.'d to 3200+ (stable for over a year)
    80 gig hdd
    512 pc3200 mushkin blue w/heatspreader

Thanks for any help you all can give me...

Carl

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Get Gspot and post a screenshot of the avi (blurr out the file name).

3. car1ef

car1ef Member

How do I get a screenshot of gspot?

carl

EDIT:

What info do you need off of gspot?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2005
  4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Sorry, I've no idea why you have this trouble. Maybe the mpeg is corrupt. I would try to 'locate' the corruption point:
    1) see if the same happens when you try to make a VCD movie;
    2) look at the length of the output that your converters (TMPGenc, Cucusoft...) manage to do and look if the original AVI has a 'disturb' around it.
    3) 'cut' the AVI with VirtualDub, using 'Video__Select Range' and avoiding a few time around the 'corruption point'. (keep the Video and Audio menus at Direct Stream Copy).
    4) use the two pieces , which now haven't corruption points inside them, as you want.

I hate GSpot, usually it gives 'good' results even in this case, so I cannot halp you as you want. When I met a similar AVI I managed to use it losing about 30" of it, that is better that throwing it in the garbage can.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  5. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

The thing that Gspot is good for, is giving codec(s) needed, aspect and framerate.
    With those 3 items, one can usually figure out how to properly encode the video.
    If it is corrupt, aldaco12 has the answer.
    If it's because of VBR MP3 audio, then there are other ways around it.