1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble fitting dvd on High Quality.

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by jeffmahar, Jul 5, 2007.

1. jeffmahar

jeffmahar Guest

I read the guide very carefully about converting AVI to DVD using Nero Vision, but I am having a small problem. Every time I try to convert a movie (Shark Tale is my latest example), and select High Quality, it is too big and goes into the red on the Full-o-meter? Then I have to go into custome video settings and manually lower the kbit (usually between 5500-6000) To fit on the disk? Is there something amiss here? I cant even fit a single dvd onto a disk at high quality without it being too big? I was hoping to get at least a few episodes of the sopranos on a dvd but not at High Quality. Can someone please set me straight? Thans Guys.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2007
  2. jeffmahar

jeffmahar Guest

3. jeffmahar

jeffmahar Guest

A full day and still knowone able to help? I would figure this a pretty simple question? Is it normal to not be able to fit a entire full length movie on high quality?

4. jeffmahar

jeffmahar Guest

Common guys, 3 days and still no reply? Is it common to not get a response on this fourm? Anyhow I am still looking for any help.

5. jeffmahar

jeffmahar Guest

anyone at all?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2007
  6. rickgr

rickgr Member

Sorry it has taken someone so long to get back to you.Do you have nero recode2 also? Even though you see red just keep clicking on next on the lower right corner and let nero do its thing. When it is done then use nero recode to shrink it to fit to dvd.A avi file will always be too big to fit on dvd so you will always have to shrink it some to get it to fit. I hope this helps.

7. jeffmahar

jeffmahar Guest

Ok thank you. I don't have Nero recode but I will get it. Is it fairly easy to use? Also when you say just to ignore the red and keep clicking next? Is there a general rule of thumb as to how much data to put on a single DVD? Lets say I have a season of my favorite TV show and each episode is roughly 1h long. How many of these episodes would I want to fit onto a dvd on "high quality" before going and using Nero recode? Sorry I am just learning the ropes and could use all the advice I can get. Thanke for the reply.

8. nasayin

nasayin Regular member

Transcoding twice will result in loss of quality. You should run the avi file in GSpot and enter the time in a bitrate calculator to find the bitrate needed for DVD-5. Then you can Custom enter the bitrate in Nero. You will find out that you do not need to set to High Quality.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
    http://www.videohelp.com/calc

9. jeffmahar

jeffmahar Guest

Ok I got Gspot, could you mabey explain to me what I am to do with this program?

10. jeffmahar

jeffmahar Guest

What does running an AVI in Gspot do? I did it and it just gives me info on the file. Should I be doing anything else?

11. puritan00

puritan00 Member

I am going to try to make something simple for you. First off. DVDS hold a simular amount to VHS in that on Long Play *low quality* about 3 2 hr movies could fit. Medium quality, or what not about 4 hrs will fit and on high quality about 2 hours should fit nicely. This is rough estimates, but you catch the idea?
    Also, Nero will automatically recode if you have the program. You load an AVI file in and click next, it says do you want us to shrink to fit, say yes, it has to recode the file away from AVI and into *probably its original format* MPEG. Takes me 2 hours. I dont see a visible loss in quality, unless the divx has bad quality. If they did a great job on the divx, and you have a good codec pack * I use K-light codec pack *basic** then nero should do a great job. I do movies this way all the time and am very happy with nero. never had a problem till today, and I got it sorted. Thanks hope this helps some

12. jeffmahar

jeffmahar Guest

So I should select automatic under the quality settings and let it "shrink to fit"? Then if I do this and want my dvd to have a good quality picture don't fit any more than around 2hours of video onto the DVD? Do I have it right now?

13. puritan00

puritan00 Member

Yes, the more you go above 2 hours the more it will "Shrink" and the more quality loss will be expected.