1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trouble locking using xboxhdm 1.9

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by dclynds, Apr 21, 2005.

1. dclynds

dclynds Member

I am using xboxhdm v1.9 to partition and create a new xbox hard drive which is a Maxtor 300GB 5400 rpm. I was able to format and create the partitions on the drive, however when I try to lock the harddrive using "lockhd -a" I get an error message: "Error - this drive does not support the ATA security spec" What do I need to do to lock the already formatted hard drive?

2. mdsup

mdsup Guest

are you sure that your hd is in fact lockable? not all hd's can be locked.

3. dclynds

dclynds Member

i found out it isn't lockable. can i still use it? what does "locking" allow me to do?

4. mdsup

mdsup Guest

your hd must be locked to run the original ms dash and to use xbox live...it is not necessary that you lock your drive...but if you want to run the ms dash you will have to get a hd that is lockable...i currently run a seagate 160gig and have never locked it.

evox/ava/unleash, apps, backups, ftp all work just fine with the hd unlocked

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2005
  5. dclynds

dclynds Member

so i just got a maxtor drive that did lock. now am i to assume that i can play xbox live without being banned? i thought that somehow xbox live could always find out if someone's playing on a modded xbox? again, i have softmodded mine.