1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble playing DVD after burn

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by tbbd, Dec 24, 2004.

1. tbbd

tbbd Member

I backed up my DVD using DVD Shrink using the burn with Nero option, Plextor burner, Memorex DVD-R media. It plays in all 3 standalone players I have (one is a combo tv/dvd deal). But it will not play in my Playstation2 (gets unable to read disc error) and it will not play on either PC with PowerDVD 4. On my PC, it locks up when the program loads and I have to end task and then reboot to unlock the drive. On my wife's PC her got an error after a while saying that the CD couldn't play because it was probably scratched or dirty. This was the first time I ever burned a DVD, so any suggestions as to what method I should use to get it to play on everything and also should I be using DVD-R or DVD+R.

2. V1ru5

V1ru5 Member

u said u burned it on a memorex Media?? is it a Memorex DVD-R 4X??? and it works on all DVD player except on ur ps2?

3. wowzers

wowzers Member

tbbd.....Your problem sounds like its media related. When I first started with this burning I bought 25 memorex 4x. Needless to say I ended up with 21 out of 25 coasters. I switched to using ritek -r 4x and solved my problem. Most peeps using memorex are having the same issues as yourself.Let me know, good luck.

4. tbbd

tbbd Member

It's Memorex 8x DVD-R discs. And yes it works on everything except PS2 and PC. Also since posting, I downloaded the trial for WinDVD and tried using that and it does the same thing as PowerDVD, just locks up.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2004
  5. bardie

bardie Regular member

I read somewhere that PlayStation2 doesn't like DVD-R media,and DVD+R is better.
    Memorex isn't the greatest of media, perhaps try a good quality media like Verbatim, Sony, Ritek, Imation or TDK, and there are plenty more.
    But it sounds like a media problem to me.

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello tbbd, ditch the memorex. Your ps2 does not like that media. If you want to keep it,slow down the burnspeed to 2x. If it don't help out,get some - tdk's.

Here is a short list of symptoms of poor media:

1) freezing
    2)pexelating
    3)skipping
    4)no disc inserted
    5)audio problems

Poor media has to be burned slower to try to get it to work.

Your stand alones magnify the problems of the poor media you are trying. Memorex is famous for their c-magnetic discs.very poor.

rule of thumb,old stand alones-use minus -
    new stand alones use +. I make backups for a ps2 and it plays everything off my present burner,where as it wouldn't on 1 certain brand of disc on my other burner.A buddy of mine has a ps2,he swears by -tdk.

Change your media or slow down those memorex.

I am presently using verbatim-mcc2,mcc3,ricohjpn01,sony-d11,0411,sony ricohjpn01,maxell-mxlrg02,ricohjpn01, teon-ricohjpn01,TDK-ricohjpnrw01

Notice all the different brands with the ricohjpn code. All burning and working in standalones flawlessly.Even those pesky rw's.Those backups are on 15 different players.The mcc is pretty darn good too.

If the higher quality media does not help,probably a burner issue.
    Happy Holidays to all AD!