1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble Ripping House Of Flying Daggers

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by canuck75, Apr 23, 2005.

1. canuck75

canuck75 Guest

Is anyone else havin' difficulty copyin this movie ... i have used DvdShrink & DvdDecrypter and none seem to work ... anyone have another program which will work ??? please help

2. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

When you use DVDDecrypter in file mode to rip the whole DVD to HD is it giving you any read errors. If it does try cleaning the movie real well and if it continues to do so then take the movie back and exchange it as it is a bad press. You might try getting DVDDecrypter to ignore the read errors but if there are alot then you will have artifacts showing up while you view the movie

3. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

hi canuck75 alot of people were having problems ripping this movie the way I ripped it was use this program called anydvd If you use that program it will let you rip House Of The Flying Daggers

4. s19sus

s19sus Member

I am unable to backup HOFD as well. Attempted with various versions of CloneDVD (w/ DVD43 and other tools). When it is time to burn I receive a message stating that it is too large for my disk.....which it is not. So I am not sure what is going on at this time. Other new movies including Lemony Snickets backups with out any problems. Maybe someone out there on this forum understands better than I what new measures are in place here.

5. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

"HOFD" is nothing special - it's just another piece of cake.

6. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

But not very good cake at that.

7. s19sus

s19sus Member

I actually enjoyed it. Not as much as Hero or Crouching Tiger but still a decent flick. Any how eventually was able to figure it out using DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink.

8. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

Glad you were successful.

9. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

just used Shrink (on it's own) to do this (region 2 uk), no problems.

edit - didn't notice you'd figured it out

10. hjgee

hjgee Member

For Mac users, I also had a problem ripping House of Flying Daggers using the otherwise excellent and reliable freeware Mac The Ripper, as well as Forty-Two and DVDBackup. After a lot of looking I ran across Fast DVD Copy 3, which allowed one free rip & burn before the license fee of $100 (!). So far that's all I need, but if more great Chinese movies have this kind of encryption, maybe it's worth it...

11. EvilHawk

EvilHawk Guest

No problems here with anything using Decrypter and Shrink.

12. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

Ripped it for my son last night using AnyDVD & CloneDVD. Took 1hour, 3 minutes start to finish. Also ripped Blade: Trinity, and Criminal. I also like Shrink/DDDecrypter, but for some reason on my system it takes about 2 1/2 - 3 hours total per movie. Don't know if this is because of the deep analysis or what. After I rip and burn, I run the burned copy through Nero Tool Kit (the part that does the DVD check) and they come up 100% good.

Tsquare43

13. HHH1969

HHH1969 Member

Mac users: No need to buy a $100 program to be able to rip HOFD. It is ARccOS protected, a technology which its creator, Sony DADC, humbly describes as "the new and most effective digital copy control solution available for DVD-Video":
    http://www.sonydadc.com/products.copy.arccos.go

:)

Well, fear not. Updating your MacTheRipper should take care of that pesky ARccOS hurdle. Worked for me, just took a while longer to rip:
    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22715

If your HOFD still won't rip, then help is on the way, as MacTheRipper 3.0 is nearing completion:
    http://www.ripdifferent.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1070
    http://www.ripdifferent.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=977

14. my2222

my2222 Guest

I have used Shrink and it stopped at 35% encoding. I had this issue before with another movie, so I have a another one sent to me. Still having the same issue, stopped encoding at 35%. Tried to use DVD Encrypter, but could not figure out how to use it?!!

How do I get around this 35% encoding?!!!

15. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

16. my2222

my2222 Guest

Thank you so much for your assistance. Turn out I only downloadED DVD Encrypter, and did not get the ASPI. Once I downloaded the ASPI, then using DVD Encrypter was such ease.

Going from DVD Encrypter to copy the files, then open DVD Shrink's File - Open Disk Image, I was able to succeed in analysing the movie, did a Backup and burn.

It sure got me through the DVD Shrink's of stopping at 35% Analysis. You guys are the BEST!!!