1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble with decrypter

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jered1, Nov 11, 2004.

1. jered1

jered1 Guest

I am new to this so hopefully I am not asking a stupid question. I am trying to backup a DVD using DVD decrypter and DVD X Copy platinium. Neither have worked. Everything is going fine until the programs get about half way throught the disk and the programs slows down and eventually errors out reporting sector read errors. It is interesting because I am backing up a mutliple disc TV series. I have been able to backup every other disc from the series, but two. I have two computers and both have the same problem. I checked for scratches on the DVD's but there were none. The discs play fine in the DVD player, but seem to have problems playing on both computers using WinDVD 4.0. I have spent hours reading the manuals and I have not found any solution. Is it something simple I am missing? Any suggestions?

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Are you using the newest DVD Decrypter? And, have you tried DVD Shrink?

3. jered1

jered1 Guest

I have tried the latest version of DVD decrypter, but I haven't tried DVD shrink. I will try that and let you know.

4. jered1

jered1 Guest

I tried DVD shrink and I followed the manual. It was 72% finished analysing when it came up with

'Failed to read file "D:\'"
    Data error (cyclic redundancy check)'

tried it again and it gave a different error

'Failed to read file "D:\'"
    Incorrect Function'

I'm not sure what to make of it

5. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

crc error is usually a dirty or scratched disc ... if your doing the original.

If your doing a backup of a backup, it usually means poor media.

Are you using the original? And, does it only happen with a few or all dvds?

6. jered1

jered1 Guest

I am using the original disc. It only seems to happen with every third DVD in the set. There are 24 DVD's. I don't know if it is some kind of weird copyright protection or what.

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

jered 1,

There seems to be a growing trend to prevent DVD backup by using unreadable sectors or hard copy read errors.

There are however ways to circumvent this method.

One is to use a slower read, even at 1x, if your DVD-ROM drive won't do it, try using your burner to read it.

Another way is there are settings in decrypter to make your rip more aggressive. here are a few as posted by my good buddy Pete:

DVD Decrypter can handle even the toughest of encryptions - Don't ever give up on DVD Decrypter, try the following little "adjustments" -

Step 1. In DVD Decrypter, go to "Tools", "Settings", and then whatever you're using either the File Mode tab OR the ISO Read Mode tab and "tick" "Remove PUO's" - try either the IFO, BUP, PUO's OR the VOB PUO's

Step 2. In DVD Decrypter, go to "Tools", "Settings", General tab, on the bottom left it will say "Removal Method" choose "Aggressive".

Step 3. in DVD Decrypter, go to "Tools", "Settings" then choose the CSS tab, under CSS Cracking Method, mark the spot that says "Brute Force -> I/O Exchange".

Finally AnyDvd has a new setting called "copy protection based on unreadable sectors", check this box when encountering such errors. AnyDvd has a free 21 day trial, then it costs 39.00/. It is well worth the price as it runs in the background completely on automatic with nothing to operate. It also works for burning on the fly without writing to the HD 1st..

Use any or all or a combination of these means will usually get around the problem, good luck.....:>).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8. jered1

jered1 Guest

bigorange,

Thank you for the suggestions. I will try them out and let you know.

Thanks,

Jered 1

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Your are quite welcome :>)