1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble with DMA

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by lproof, Mar 9, 2007.

1. lproof

lproof Member

Okay, I'm absolutely at my wits' end. I've been unable to rip DVDs faster than 1.3x and recently discovered that this is because I don't have DMA enabled. However, when I tried to enable DMA, it would only give me "PIO" as the Transfer Mode, even when I select "DMA if available."

I tried the solution on this page, and while it worked perfectly for one of my computer, the main computer with my DVD burner still doesn't work. See screenshot here. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the secondary IDE channel, but that just reverts everything to PIO, and when I try to re-enable DMA, it still refuses to use DMA.

I'm on Windows XP Home, SP2 with a DVDRW DRW-5S153 DVD burner, using the latest firmware.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  2. lproof

lproof Member

All right, so I managed to fix the problem. Turns out I had to go into the BIOS to enable the drive before windows could recognize it and use DMA. Now it's set as Ultra DMA Mode 4.

Burning works perfectly. But now NONE of my DVDs will rip properly! DVDDecrypter gives me Logical Communication CRC Error just parsing the files. These are not cheap discs. I've tried Taiyo Yudens, Sony, and Verbatim discs - all with the same result. They rip/play perfectly on my DVD player and on my other computer.

Help??