1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble with my Thrustmaster ;)

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by ducky3010, May 15, 2007.

1. ducky3010

ducky3010 Member

ok, so bought a Thrustmaster wifi usb key today.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ThrustMaster.../dp/B000OA6D7A

and i've gone home all pleased, i'd finally be able to connect my ps3 to the net without having to get a wireless router (although it wouldnt have been much different in price and routers are pretty much guaranteed to work)

but yeah, i bought it. i did everythign it said and yet when i test my connection via my ps3, it cant find an IP address. this is probably something to do with the ominous ! over the icon saying "limited or no connectivity" that is on my pc. i've installed the drivers off a cd and i've tried to repair to connection (i'm useless with internet settings so i only tried clicking repair really... but it should have done the job!)

any ideas as to whats up and why i cant use this? i meet all minimum requirements and by that i mean blow them out of the water.
    and my ps3 does pick it up as it goes through the connection setting but at the end when it comes to test it, it times out look for an IP.

i bought it from GAME for thirty bloody quid no less.... coulda bout a router for that......

my connection settings. i followed all the instructions to the letter. i'll go through it step by step here actually...

Network settings | internet connection settings.
    connection: wireless
    Wlan settings: scan
    it finds the wifi point (named funaccess by default)
    security settings: none for the mo but if i can get it to work WEP.
    address setting: easy

it checks my configuration for a bit...

IP setting: automatic
    DHCP: do not set
    subnet mask: auto
    default router: auto
    primary DNS: auto
    secondary DNS: auto
    MTU: auto
    proxy server: do not use
    UPnP: disable

my ps3 and pc were about 2m apart at the time with no obstructions. usually under 5m apart with no obstructions.

thanks for the help :D

2. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

You will need some routing software such as Comsocks or something. There will be ping problems with the configuration you suggest. Sorry to say but you should have bought a router and set DMZ to a static IP for your PS3. You are trying to bridge the gap with two access points and no host. You can use software as a host as I stated in the first sentence of this post (converting your PC into a very expensive router and having to leave it on each time you use the PS3 on line) and have ping problems and delays or you can buy a linksys WGA11B wireless B game adaptor and use a standard router, if you already have one. You can also connect the WGA11B directly to the cable modem but if you don’t set the wep key anyone may be able to access your wireless adaptor, you will also not be able to surf on the PC and play online PS3 games at the same time (you will have to swap the cable each time you want to use the PS3 on the modem). Best bet is to buy a WiFi router.

3. Andrew691

Andrew691 Regular member

Did the device come with any program to configure it? normally they do. If not I have a method that should work for your setup.

4. ducky3010

ducky3010 Member

it came with an installation cd, yes.

i believe it wont work with my BT Voyager 105 modem... i'm now looking for a basic wireless route that will work. i live in the uk and can't buy online. i was only looking to spend what i i did on the thrustmaster, £30. any recommendations?

5. Andrew691

Andrew691 Regular member

There is a way, and it would save you buying anything else. First off why dont you think it will work will your modem?

EDIT: the install CD's program should be able to fully setup the Access point.

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  6. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

The software that came with the WiFi key will install WiFi software for the “PC” to access WiFi intended to connect to a router. I find it hard to believe that a WiFi key fob would come with routing software like comsocks. It would appear that the vendor of the key fob mislead you to believe that this would magically make your PS3 connect to your PC and use the internet on that PC. It’s not that simple, there are other things you have to set up and its not the best way to do things.

7. Andrew691

Andrew691 Regular member

Its not exactly that simple but its far from hard, and the product he's purchased can easily be used to do what its advertised as.
    All he needs to do is assign IP addresses to both the PS3 and PC, then bridge his internet connection with the wireless one. Very simplified, but it is what needs to be done and doesnt take that long to do.

8. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

Lets hope he has a degree in networking cause trying to use the Microsoft network wizard will just screw things up even worse. If he sets the IP address the same on the WiFi key fob and the PS3 how is that going to help? That's like hooking up 2 computers to a hub with the same address on each computer. Collisions are the only thing that will happen if anything. He needs TCPIP routing if its going to work. I think windows can do it but not sure how (I hate Microsoft) comsocks works (its easy to use, so easy even I can use it LOL).

9. Andrew691

Andrew691 Regular member

Im meaning give his PC and PS3 Static IP addresses in the same range, like PC be 192.168.0.1 and PS3 as 192.168.0.2 or something.

Ive got a similar kind of setup as he has except Im using a PCI WIFI card to connect with my PS3, It came with software that allows it to act as an access point. So all I did was set it up like a standard Wireless Network, then bridge it with my Internet(in Windows).

10. ducky3010

ducky3010 Member

you say easily? how easily are we talking?

i spoke to the guy in maplins today (who usually dont know anything of use) as to an answer and he said it might not be working because i'm with aol. now this sounds proposterous to me but i mean... it is aol. its more trouble than its worth.

11. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

Are you using a phone modem to connect? You can’t play PS3 games on a dial up connection you need broadband, it says so on every online game box. Dial up service such as AOL cannot transmit enough information fast enough to play PS3 games. You can blame most of that on VOIP.

12. ducky3010

ducky3010 Member

well its 512. it was the silver package at the start of last year. 512 and a bt voyager 105 modem. a useless piece of plastic with a flashing light or 3 on the front. it is broadband but its aol broadband. it means i need to sign in everytime i want to use the internet. i connect via the aol dialler. i would leave my pc on when playing ps3 online anyway as my pc is rarely ever turned off.

13. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

If it dials out, its not going to be fast enough.

14. Andrew691

Andrew691 Regular member

Wish my laptop hadnt just died, I had the way to set up your connection already typed out and waiting.

First thing you will need to try to do is assign static network addresses, to avoid any conflicts it might cause.
    On your PC click the start menu, hover over "Connect To" select "view all connections" Is there a connection called something like "Wireless Network Connection"? If so right-click it and select properties. In the middle of the box that opens up the will be a scrollable box, at the very bottom of it there should be "Internet Protocol TCP/IP" select it then click properties. For IP address (first box) set it at 192.168.0.1 once you click the subnet box it should auto fill itself to 255.255.255.0. Go to {EDITED) , at the bottom of that page should be a DNS address put that in "Primary DNS Server". Click OK then OK again to close the last open windows.

Now go to your PS3, and scan for networks go through setup untill you get to network address, select manual. Set IP as 192.168.0.2 Subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 Router to 192.168.0.1 (your PC) and DNS server to what ever you got from that website. UPNP as enable, Proxy Server to NO.

Back on your PC go to "network Connections" again, highlight both you Internet connection and your wireless one rightclick one of them and select "Bridge Connections".
    That SHOULD make you PS3 able to get onto the net.
    Your internet speed is more than fast enough DL' wise, but for gaming Upload is more important but should still be enough. Last week I used this method to get online with Dialup internet (all Ive got access to) and was playing Full Auto 2: Battlelines for 4+hrs with no noticable lag.

Just a quick note: my links and/or names of folders might be incorrect as I'm not really able to check them.

EDIT: Link doesnt work, will try to find working link soonish.

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  15. fiver

fiver Member

16. Andrew691

Andrew691 Regular member