1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble with notebook power jack.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Mr_Del, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

I have a notebook with power issues. I know the cause and what the problem is. Repair information is what I am after.

The Power jack on the notebook is loose and does not always allow a good power connection. Ill be sitting and working, all of the sudden the low battery alarm sounds. I reach arround to adjust the cord and sometimes I get a good conection.

It has become more frequent that I can't make a good connection. When I do manage to get a good connection I have to be still. The slightest movement will sound the alarm. It is a question of how much longer it will even work, then I have a dead PC.

The cord is good. I have tested with a voltmeter. The power is steady even if I bend the cord at the connector. So then, How do I fix the pin in the jack. Is there a way to tighten it? I am very fuzzy in this area but skilled with solder. I have thought of applying solder to the outside of the plug end (on the cord) to try and get a better connection.

Let me know what you think
    -Del

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

you are going to have to open the laptop so as to get at the bottom of the board to resolder the power connector. once exposed remove all the old solder with heat & a solder wick or a solder sucker. resolder the connector pins with new solder. you might have to replace parts of the pads or circuit tracks but don't know yet til you have exposed the connector pins

3. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

I was affraid of that response. This notbook is a pain to open. Had to open it once to remove something stuck on USB. Took about an hour to get in. To bad the plastic supports are broken on both USB. Anyway I will have to wait till tomorow to crack this thing open. Ill post results. Should I find a replacement part for this?

Thanks
    -Del

4. ddp

might be able to use the connector as there is possible cold solder joint that is causing the problem. if board is open might be able to replace usb connectors. i do this work all the time so know what i'm talking about

5. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Oh Yea!! Lap top now fixed. I did not do anything to the jack. Was afraid I would not be able to get solder through all layers. So here is what I did.

I opened the computer and soldered Two wires to the bord where the jack connects. I ran the wires out the laptop lock slot. Yes I tied a knot in the wires to prevent pulling out. I then attached the two wires to pins. The pins went in a plactic socket. Finaly I cut off the end of the adapter cord. I took those two wire and put them on pins and placed inside the other half of the plastic piece. So now the power hooks up similar to a power supply outlet into a hard drive or something. Now it all works fine.

Total time of project: 3 hours. So there you have it.

-Del

6. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Oh Yeah about the USB connectors. I discovered they are on thier own seperate bord. Tiny bord held in place by 2 screws. I wrote down the part number and will begin looking for it.

-Del

7. ddp

the solder would have flowed thru the barrel that attaches all the layers together as it is plated

8. Ghuch

Ghuch Member

I have the same problem. I got my notebook last year in August and in the end of September I smelled plastic burning. After while I found out that my AC plug is melting, from the beginning I was thinking that the problem is in the AC but it appears that the issue is in the power jack.
    In order to get connection I have to adjust the angle and after that it starts making some “electricity” sounds and gets hot. I still have warranty but I can not afford shipping fees. I was thinking to give to some company to fix it, but I’m little bit hesitating to do that. You never know what they do.
    Is my problem very serious??? And how to deal with it???
    Any suggestions/ ideas???

Thanks in advance,

9. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Ghuch, anytime that you smell plastic burning, you have a huge problem. Contact the vendor who sold you the unit, and tell them what has happened. Maybe they will cover the shipping charges for you.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  10. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Guch

This is a shot in the dark. Does your power supply have three prongs. If so do you use a converter so you can plug it into a two prong outlet. If this unlikle hunch is correct then install a three prong outlet correctly. Pluging in laptops like this do cause many power related problems. There are always exceptions. Like I said this is just a hunch and may not even apply to you.

-Del

11. ddp

you have a break in 1 of the wires that is causing the electrical sounds & causing the cord to get hot. in effect you have an electrical short that can catch fire & burn your place down so get it fixed ASAP!!!!

12. Ghuch

Ghuch Member

thanks a lot guys. i'm going to do something about that, and will let you know who things are.
    thanks one more time

13. ddp

teach & learn

14. Ghuch

Ghuch Member

I do have three prongs and do use convector with two prongs and the third one is just hanging out.
    So what think do I have to change the whole motherboard or I just have to replace the power jack.

I just contacted with HP center they dolt me that I might change the whole motherboard, because the jack is integrated to in.

What do you think is may problem is big one or is that just power jack???

15. ddp

is it the power adapter/cord that makes the noise & gets hot or is it the connector in the laptop doing it??

16. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

DDP You are probaly correct but it is highly likely the source of the problem was the outlet converter. Now the damage is done and must be fixed.

As far as replacing the outlet, You must make sure there are three wires behind the exsisting outlet first. If not then you will need and electriction to run to proper wiring. If there is three wires then you will connect the lose one to the new outlet. Simply replacing the outlet to three prongs will be inefective if you do not have that third wire. Im guessing you have an HP,Compaq or Dell.

By the way, If you choose to send the notebook in for waranty work don't tell them you used a converter. That will void the warenty. iIt is even in your manuals not to use one.

Good luck
    -Del

17. Ghuch

Ghuch Member

I checked my AC cable on another notebook just like mine and--- even my AC plug is half melted it was working perfectly no problems at all no sounds and ugly stuff.
    So as it seems the problem is power jack!!!!
    HP told me that jack is integrated on the motherboard. And if the problem is jack is it easy to fix??? Do I have to replace only that???

18. ddp

if still under warranty get it replace because if you open it, you could void all warranty & is possible there might be a recall that they haven't told you about so send it in to be fixed by hp

19. dbmoney

dbmoney Member

Sounds like the same problem I'm having. I've got an HP zt1150 that started smoking. After ripping the thing totally apart, I have found that the tiny power receiver box where the power cord plugs in has been fried. It was loose before and I'm sure it just wiggled until the soldering came apart. There was probably an arch when I plugged it in that charred the box. I took it to CompUSA and they said they could resolder it for $800. I'm willing to give it a try myself for that much!!! Anybody have a clue where to get one of those boxes. I found one at Radio Shack that was close, but a not close enough. It has the number 020408 on top of it. It has 3 prongs that would solder into the motherboard, but one of them is TOAST. No way to solder it. If anybody has any ideas where to get one, please let me know.
    Thanks!

20. ddp

take old 1 to an electronic supply store to see if they have same or similar type 3 prong jack. if can't get same than get 1 of same size & layout & that the pins do the same thing as old 1. $800!! i can do that for a lot cheaper than that as that is what i had worked before fixing/repairing circuit boards