1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble with notebook power jack.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Mr_Del, Feb 8, 2005.

1. triciab

triciab Member

i have a similar problem. about 3 years ago, the power jack on my laptop (only a year old then) broke so that i had to hold the cord in a certain position to get a connection. i had it fixed at a local computer place and it's been fine until now. it's doing the same thing. i know much more about computers now and i would rather fix this problem on my own rather than dishing out another $100.

when i open the notebook, what exactly will i need to do? do i just need to resolder the jack or will i need to replace it completely? i found the jack i need on ebay for only 5 bucks or so. would i just need to get that?

thanks

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

when you open the inside of the laptop, look at the prongs that go thru the circuit board from the jack. wiggle carefully the jack to see if just the prongs move or the prongs & the solder move. post results

3. Ghuch

Ghuch Member

My machine still suffers from the same problem. I went to local HP office and explained the issue, the guy told me that he has to look inside and will tell me if it fixable. So after three days I give them a call to check up what’z up? Unfortunately, I had negative answer. They could not fix it because they were not familiar with the motherboard and the only thing that I got from them was that I have to change the whole motherboard.
    I’m pretty sure that the problem is in the power jack, but lately I have observed that if I put my plug from AC into the computer and will hold the cable in horizontal position, I still able to get power into the machine. It still makes electrical noises but there is not much that I can do.
    As I have mentioned in my pervious massages I still have warranty. When I asked to the guy who opened my machine about warranty, he said that they have not touched anything inside just opened and there nothing happens with warranty. However, when I got my laptop back, I noticed that there is missing one screw.
    I’m voiding warranty? i want to fix it in the sates.

4. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

If what you say is true then the first thing you should do is kick those guys in the nuts. You should not say you service something you don't understand. About the srew. will depend on when they notice it is missing. If the see it before they start surgery then your probaly screwed. If they catch it after surgery then your OK.

-Del

5. peterk1

peterk1 Member

My Dell Inspiron 3800 stopped powering up using the AC Adapter, the only way I could use it was with the battery. At the end the battery was depleted. I found this company through google and they did the job. Desktops are much more durable. Their web page is: www.tech4home.net/powerjacksinfo.html.
    I bough a new Toshiba machine, so far so good... hope nothing happens to it.

6. fmaroto

fmaroto Member

Hello my friend,

We are thousands of people with the same problem. Look herehttp://www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/ftopic73146.html

I think we should go for common lawsuit against hp

Fernando

7. Ghuch

Ghuch Member

Hello to everyone,
    Mr_Del do you have any idea where I can rapier my machine in case if I’m screwed with the warranty? I was checking all over but everything is in vain. I have check recommended site but it does not seem working any more www.tech4home.net/powerjacksinfo.html.
    About the guys in HP--- it’s a official HP center according to me they should know what is going on with their products. I really do not know what to say, he did not charge me anything and said to me that I’m still holding the warranty, give some paper to me and made a note in the journal that the warranty is still valid.
    Will I be able to use this supporting argument in the case of “screw”?

8. ddp

if only lost 1 screw, it could be said it vibrated lose than fell off & you didn't know until if they point it out if you catch my drift

9. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

It is very hard to find a local place that will work on notebooks. I am sure you are finding this out. Most computer places do not bother with them due to the time it takes just to get in and then close it. Also there are not very many servicable parts inside a notbook. In many cases it would be more effective to replace a defective unit wrather than have someone repair it. The costs in labor would come close to a new (Cheap) laptop.

Now you can risk the warrenty by sending to HP due to the screw. You can try to argue that it was there when you sent it but they will win thay argument. If they don't notice it then repair should be free. If you did contact that place you took it to and did not get a good response then look into the Better Buisness Bureau. Sometimes an investigation from them will make the company correct the problem (as far as the screw goes).

So you economical choices would be to try and do it yourself or send to HP risking the warrenty. As far as the HP company goes it just plain sucks to high hell. I can't belive the crap they have been putting on the market. What ever hapened with the QA department. Plotter printers that grind when they start printing, Laser color that can go bad if the power goes out, notebooks with the left mouse button quit working, auto alignment by light--> This can be broken so easy and the printer is usless, all paper will be seen as a transparency. Guess what, HP does not warrent that item. I could go on for ages about the HP crap I have encountered. Compaq is the same since it is the same company now.

Fmaroto, I do not think that would be good enough. I have seen enough to be convinced a BOYCOT is at hand.This way we could protect the unkowing consumer. There was a time many years ago that HP was a good name minus computers. Those days are long gone. Boycots hurt companies far more than any lawsuit.

-Del

10. Ghuch

Ghuch Member

Thanks for “rich” and reasonable answer and I’m totally agree with you about HP products.
    Well, as it seems there is not much can be done. I will still use my warranty, if in the case of refusal I will bitch about local HP, that they opened and there is nothing done after that and they told me that warranty is still valid.
    I’m not sure how it is going to work, but I’m not losing anything, as it obvious from the situation my chances are 50/50.
    So far notebook is working and leaves wired impression that problem is in the cable itself. When I plug and put the cable in the horizontal position with putting a book as pedestal under the cable everything is fine, just time to time feel heat from the power jack place.
    Thanks a lot

11. Ghuch

Ghuch Member

ddp--- your idea seems a good one, have to use more this kind of tricks
    tahnks

12. ddp

no problem, teach & learn

13. Ghuch

Ghuch Member

14. Ghuch

Ghuch Member

pic #DSC01559 is the palce of missing srew. right under the screen

15. Ghuch

Ghuch Member

16. mas98110

mas98110 Member

Hi to all HP notebook usersers with bad power jacks. You can get the part from a guy on Ebay; user name, computekinc-us . This part was only 3 dollars and took me 2 hours to take the HP apart and put back together. I used a large piece of paper drew an outline of the computer and used clear tape to position all the parts so I couldput them back in the correct place( I'm not a computer) and after the process I only had one screw left! Computer works and I didn't have to pay HP $400 for a new motherboard.
    Your site really helped me once I figured out that the connection to the power was called a power jack and not a power plug! Thanks to all of you who spend the time to share your knowledge with nebies like myself who grew up during the area of slide-rules. Mike.

17. ddp

no problem, teach & learn