1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble with RAM Card.. Computer does Boot..

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by less10, May 18, 2007.

1. less10

less10 Member

Hello guys I have a problem trying to upgrade my notebook. The notebook is a gateway (I know a lot of you are going o there is your problem but hey it’s all I could afford at the time) and it has 512 DDR ram and a 3.6 GHz Pentium processor. 80 gig hard drive. So I wanted to put in a 1 gig chip and triple checked that it was compatible. The computer has a built in 256 chip and one 256 removable chip. The max ram is rated at 1.28 gigs so I know I am not overloading it. Anyway so I put the chip in and the computer works great for a few minutes. Then as soon as I start to do something like web browsing or using a program it freezes. It not only freezes but these lines come down the screen and it locks up. Now when I have the chip in the computer can sit still and do little things like control panel and such but nothing that requires a little ram. I have gone to my computer and looked at the properties with the chip in and it registers 1.21 gigs so I feel like it is reading it. I know it has something to do with the chip because when I take it out and put the 256 back in it works fine, thus I am able to right this post. Any help or thoughts would be great. Thanks guys.

Jonathan

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

possible bad ram.

3. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

put your old ram back in

go to the microsoft website and download their memdiag program
    burn it the disc
    put your new ram back in and test it

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member