1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble with uploading photos from the digital camera via USB - need to switch to USB 1.0?

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by sorceress, Dec 17, 2004.

1. sorceress

sorceress Member

I have Samsung Digimax 340 and until I got a new computer I`d had no trouble with transfering data from the camera. When I replaced my PII with a new machine and connected the camera via USB the system recognized the hardware and the removable disk showed up but I could neither view nor transfer photos, plus the camera freezed in usb mode and I couldn`t turn it off until I pulled out the batteries. I was told that the new version of USB (2.0) on my machine is too powerful for the camera and that I should look for kind of a patch for Windows XP that will convert USB 2.0 to USB 1.0 and basically 'slow down' the information flow enough for the camera to follow it. Has anyone had this kind of problem? Can someone refer me to a place where I should look for that?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what is make & model# of computer/motherboard as you probably have both usb1 & 2 onboard as i do on mine

3. sorceress

sorceress Member

AMD Sempron 2400+, motherboard is ASUS A7N8X-X (that`s what the box claims :) - I`m not too familiar with the stuff). I have 4 USB ports - two in the back and two in a separate area on the side (it is even labeled "USB"). I tried all of them, those on the back freeze the camera and report corrupt .jpg file (though there is none), the other two report I/O error.

4. toyfigure

toyfigure Guest

Sometimes I have problems downloading pics from my digital camera and here's what I do...

I use Windows' explorer and on the screen I'll see the drive being used by the camera as a 'removal drive'. Then I just drag those files in there to a temp file on my HD. Then I use PhotoShop to open them up.

Hope that helps.

5. ddp

done that too with customers' computers & cameras

6. sorceress

sorceress Member

Well the trouble is that both Windows Explorer and Total Commander present removable disk as empty.

7. toyfigure

toyfigure Guest

Try again using Windows' explorer method but instead of connecting the camera directly to your PC, use a card reader instead.

8. sorceress

sorceress Member

Um...I`m afraid that connecting the camera to PC is the only available way for me. I don`t have a card reader...to be honest I don`t even know what that is. I only have the USB cable.

9. ddp

check in device manager if any exclamation marks there or unknown device

10. sorceress

sorceress Member

Some new input...I never actually downloaded the Digimax driver from the CD because when I got the computer and inserted the CD there was a message onscreen that said that the system had the driver already. I was then told by some friends that I should uninstall that Windows XP driver and install the CD driver. Sounds logical but I don`t know what to uninstall.

11. toyfigure

toyfigure Guest

I would not mess with WinXP's driver unless I know exactly what I'm doing because Windows' programs share a lot of working files. There are chances that if you remove one part of a "sub" program the whole OS may crash!

I would just invest in a card reader which is very cheap now, ranges from $10-$20 for multi-format memory cards. Just do a search in Google :)

Good luck.