1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Troubles with computer & dvd player recognising disc

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Spence, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Spence

Spence Guest

Hey everyone, i ripped a couple movies onto my hard drive using dvd shrink 3.1. Once on my harddrive i open nero 6.0 and add all the necessary files into the VIDEO_TS folder. from there i burn the disc fine... but the problem is that once finished the disc is worthless because nothing recognises the disc in there. neither of 3 dvd players or my computer will run the movie. The files are shown on the computer that they are on there... but wont play?? whats gone wrong here? its not the discs because i have tried 3 different brands and types dvd+-r & rw

2. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

Hi Spence,

make sure that you have all the settings of Nero right, follow this guide
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/burning_dvd_with_nero.cfm

Also make sure the movie still works on your harddrive prior to burning it. Use a software DVDplayer to do this (PowerDVD or WinDVD for example)
    If the movie works fine there then you can be pretty sure that there's some settings you've missed in Nero.

If Nero still gives you a hard time, try the ImgTool & DVD Decrypter approach described here
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/67666

I hope this works out for you! Oh yeah, and stick to RW discs 'till you got it figured out :)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2004
  3. Spence

Spence Guest

Ketale,
    The movies i have ripped onto the hard drive work fine, a bit bumpy but i figure thats just due to WinDVD. its known for crapiness i've heard. But i just noticed... when adding the VOB IFO and BUP files into the VIDEO_TS the icons for files change into music notes. is this normal for nero?? Ive been through that guide u said above and its exactly what i do.

i'll keep mucking around with RW dvds till i get it. But mabye someone could say what settings i should have in nero 6. just to check mine against. Thanks

4. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2004
  5. beetleman

beetleman Member

I had the same problem at first, but resolved the issue.

Make sure that you are burning a DVD and not simply copying the DVD files. Just having the files on the DVD doesn't work. It has to be burnt as a DVD.

For Nero don't use the wizard but instead use Nero burning rom appliction.
    --> Select DVD in the drop down box.
    --> Select DVD-Video in the scroll list just below.
    --> Click new after you select any option tabs you want.
    --> Double click the red VIDEO_TS folder on the left.
    ---> Browse to the IFO, BUP, and VOB files for your movie and drap them to the window just right of the red VIDEO_TS window.
    Burn baby, burn.

Hope this helps.
    beetleman

6. Scubadude

Scubadude Guest

Hi
    I have a question regarding svcd not playing on media player. I realise that it will be in mpeg2 and that the PC doesn't recognise it, besides having a dvd encoder such as power dvd installed - is there anything else I can do in order for this svcd to play on the PC ?
    Thanks

7. Spence

Spence Guest

Hey Ketale and beetleman!

Thanks heaps for your help... i've now figured it out. the movies work awesome. B-man you got it spot on. i was copying the files only... not actually burning as a video DVD. Now that ive got this figured im going to burn a ton more...

Thanks heaps - both of ya!

8. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

Spence,
    Glad you got it figured out! Happy burning, mate!!

Scubadude,
    In order to watch SVCD on your computer you need an mpeg-2 decoder. PowerDVD or WinDVD for example have one, and if your looking for a free one try the Media Player Classic, you can download it here

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=82303&release_id=196342

Hope this works out for you. (By the way, next time start a new thread in the appropriate section, (which would have been the VCD / SVCD section) instead of posting your question in the wrong section to another thread). That way you will be sure to get your answer faster and you won't mess up the forum structure :) ) Have fun!!

9. Scubadude

Scubadude Guest

Ketale,
    Thanks for the info - sorry about the thread, will do next time.

10. beetleman

beetleman Member

Spence,

I'm glad I could help.

beetleman