1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Troubleshooting Magic 3.6?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by T-Minus10, Feb 23, 2003.

1. T-Minus10

T-Minus10 Regular member

So, I bought a Magic 3.6 from The-Console-Corner.com. Installed it. Tested all my solder points to make sure they didn't interefere with their neighbors but made sure they did interfere with what they were supposed to interefere with. Tested both clips. Turn on the PS2: It acts like a PS2 without a modchip.

When I put in a PS2 backup game (using either Optodisk DVD-RW or no-name DVD-R, specifically Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 copied with Nero DVD Copy and Pioneer DVR-104) and put it into standby and then tap reset, it boots up and in the browser screen, says, "reading data" and doesn't get anywhere. If I put in a regular PS2 game it works.

If I put in a PSX backup (I actually only tried the Paradox MP3 player) and tap it (the wrong way for a PS2) It says "please insert a PSX/PS2 game". If I do it the right way (putting it in standby and then holding the reset button for 4-5 secs until the other light turns on) it doesn't do anything. Going to the browser window shows a "PS1 Game" but when I try to start the PS1 game it doesn't do anything.

Any help? Does this point towards any culprits? What specifically can I do to isolate the problem?

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 23, 2003
  2. JVegas

JVegas Regular member

Defently check the way you are burning your games. My first guess would be you games are wrong. Are you burning them at the slowest speed possible?

3. T-Minus10

T-Minus10 Regular member

I'm burning them @ 1x. I'm gonna try changing the firmware. I've talked to a few people. they've said that it may have to do with the fact that i'm using the stock wires that came with the kit as opposed to an extra-large wire for the power and smaller wires for the non-power.

4. JVegas

JVegas Regular member

Those wires that come with system are tech the wrong size but they may work. I personally had mine installed professionaly and the guys used differnt ones then the ones that came with the clip. Still sounds like a burning problem or a mis-install.

5. T-Minus10

T-Minus10 Regular member

I just opened up my PS2 and checked every point. Everything's good. No bridges. I'm surprised I could do such precise work. Furthermore, everything's super secure. Tugging on the solder points does nothing. I retested the chip clip with the chip clip tester and that's all good too.

The game I've been using to test is Tony Hawk Pro Skate 4. Would there be any specific problems with that game? Otherwise going to version 1.2 firmware and then 1.4 and trying again and again.

Hmm. Would it be safe to test with a DVD-RW?

Again, Thanks very much

6. EazyLidz

EazyLidz Guest

hey t-minus when you tested your chip clip...how did you do it...i`m having probs with my 3.6 not all the circs light up...and which ones are supposed to light and what aren`t?

7. T-Minus10

T-Minus10 Regular member

8. T-Minus10

T-Minus10 Regular member

It booted a CD-R PS2 backup fine. Arghgr. Reburning tony hawk with newer firmware.

9. T-Minus10

T-Minus10 Regular member

success. Firmware 1.2 didn't work. 1.4 did.

10. warren007

warren007 Member

By firmware, do you mean the driver for your burner. I have a magic 3.6 in the post and thinking of buying a Toshiba SD5002.

11. T-Minus10

T-Minus10 Regular member

by firmware, I mean firmware. I have a Pioneer DVR-104 (relabeled by Cendyne) which I like quite a bit. Faster dvd burners are useless because the best burns are made at the slowest speeds and 2x media is expensive.

12. warren007

warren007 Member

sorry but "by firmware, i mean firmware" doest really help me, Ive never heard the term before

13. T-Minus10

T-Minus10 Regular member

no worries. With many computer parts, you have a firmware which controls behaviour of a drive. Usually you don't have to mess with this. Hmmm. If you've ever flashed the bios, you've done something similar to upgrading your motherboard's firmware.

Anyways, if you go the manufacturer's website and dig around, you'll find a number of firmwares for almost any drive -- well, almost any optical drive. Hard drives tend to not release firmware updates but some do.

Firmware updates can fix problems, increase media support, etc. Apparently, the 1.4 firmware fixed one of my problems. Firmware, however, is driver-transparent. Firmwares shouldn't change how the drive behaves, not what it is.

(If I got anything wrong, correct me!)

14. warren007

warren007 Member

thanks, now that your games are working, when you start any game do you have to do any special tricks, besides just pushing the reset button after the game is placed inside the PS?

15. T-Minus10

T-Minus10 Regular member

nope.

If I were in the market for a new modchip, however, I'd get one of them newfangled upgradable ones whose name eludes me now.