1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Troubleshooting new build

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by hacyec, Feb 16, 2012.

1. hacyec

hacyec Member

Hello guys, new to the forum and need help, hope it's a quick and easy fix

So my brother got a combo deal over at newegg for me to build for him and I got it all setup and working, all drivers installed....but every so often the screen will glitch.When you scroll down a page the screen will develop a blue lines, buttons (such as the close, minimize or other buttons) will disappear or get the same blue on them, even on the desktop fragments will start to appear in places. I've tried print screen and it will not capture these glitches, pasted in the paint program all is alright, this is a two day old build, no viruses...I even installed anti-vir software to make sure lol, reinstalled windows 7, reseated the GPU, nothing. The MB does come with onboard graphics, would this have anything to do with it? Or is the GPU just a bad one that I should return?

This does not happen all the time, in fact, during the windows setup nothing happened until I took it and installed it on his TV, I tried a different monitor as well just in case with same results. The hardware:

SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4100WMGUSBX

Corsair Carbide Series 400R Graphite grey and black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case

Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - OEM

ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS AM3+ AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CMZ4GX3M2A1600C9

2. mrslicker

mrslicker Regular member

sounds to me like a memory problem, either GPU or system RAM. That can happen when a grfx processor is underpowered for what it is being expected to do. It shouldn't be an issue with what you have, but I've seen onboard grafix behave like that. windows that dont refresh and stay blank when it should have been redrawn, etc. You've already tried on a different monitor, good. try a different port on the card, update the radeon drivers with the newest catalyst. if that fails, then it may be a good idea to uninstall the video drivers, take the gfx card out temporarily, and use the onboard video to see if it still happens. Kind of a shot in the dark, but run memtest iso or microsoft memory test iso to verify the system ram works.

3. hacyec

hacyec Member

Following the advice from a different board I tried getting a beefier PSU and that sort of fixed the issue, happens a lot less now with a 1000W PSU, but it has happened. Will test the RAM now but if I check properties on "My Computer" it shows that I am running with 4gig RAM, would I still run the test?

4. hacyec

hacyec Member

I've come to find that it seems to be the GPU itself since it doens't happen with my older one installed into the same system, but only happens when AMD's drivers are installed. Any other suggestions? I can't run any games without DX support which I can only seem to get with the drivers.

5. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Just to be certain let's make sure you have updated drivers for the GPU. If this doesn't work then you may want to RMA that card.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Fill out the information on the AMD site, then download and install the newest driver available. Maybe that will solve the GPU issue.