1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

troubling using active mode in dc++

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by prologuer, Aug 14, 2004.

1. prologuer

prologuer Guest

hey, i was wondering if anyone might be able to help me out. i haven't been able to connect using active mode in dc++. i am running windows xp, connecting with verizon dsl through a westell 2200 modem. i have xp's firewall disabled, through i am running norton firewall. however, when i disable the firewall, i still cannot connect using active mode. any ideas? further questions?

thanks!

2. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Questions:

1. Are any of your ports blocked?

2. Have you upgraded to the latest version of DC++?

3. prologuer

prologuer Guest

Yeah, I have the most recent version of dc++ (.401). I am not sure about port blocking. How would I determine that?

4. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Do a port check test:

https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

5. prologuer

prologuer Guest

I ran the test on the website and all the ports it checked came up in "stealth," which I gather to mean that it did not detect a computer at those ports.

6. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

It all ports came out in "stealth", you've got a problem. Try disabling Norton firewall again and trying to connect using active mode.

The other reason for this problem might be that your ISP is blocking P2P ports. If you still can't connect through the firewall then call your ISP and ask about the ports being blocked.

7. prologuer

prologuer Guest

Thank you. I'll try your suggestions.

8. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Let me know how it turns out! Oh yeah, you're welcome!

9. Kingd

Kingd Guest

I believe in active mode, you must provide your external IP and port number in the settings. Are you putting in the correct info?

10. ped666

ped666 Member

Hi everyone. You can use DC++ with a firewall, first of all go to www.no-ip.com or similar site and set up a free dynamic ip adress. Download the dynamic dns update client too from this page. Once all your details are sorted go into DC++,settings,general click on the active button, enter you new dynamic ip ad (yourname.no-ip.com) enter a port number between 1024 and 35000. Now go into your firewall settings(i use mcafee) utilities,system services, click on DC++ then edit. Now allow DC++ to recieve incomning TCP/IP ports to the same number as you entered in the DC++ settings. Hope this is understandable and helpful.

11. ped666

ped666 Member

And you have to run the No-ip update client everytime you start up dc++. Thanks.