1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Troy

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by DrTardis, Oct 26, 2004.

1. DrTardis

DrTardis Member

Hi - I've been lurking for a while, but this is my first post so be gentle with me...

I bought the Region 2 version of Troy yesterday (great film!) I decided to back it up after watching it. I first tried using CloneDVD 2 which is my primary back-up program. Went through the process and wrote the result to a Ritek DVD -R. When I went to play the backup it started stuttering at 12 seconds and stopped.

My first thought was the media so went through the same process, this time burning to a Verbatum +R with my other burner. Went to play it and exactly the same thing happened.

I tried one more thing - ripping with DVD Decrypter and then doing a Movie Only copy with DVD2One. Burnt the disc using RecordItNow Max and guess what - same thing again!

The same thing also happened playing the disc on a different player.

I've successfully backed up over 100 dsics using (mainly) CloneDVD and this is the first one that's given me any trouble.

Anyone any ideas? (sorry for the length of the post!)

2. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... Do you have anything else running in the background on your computer? .. You know, a screensaver, firewall, anti-virus etc... Are you using your computer for anything else while you're making your backups? You need to turn everything off that's not being used to make your backup disc ... Some discs are more sensitive to this than others ...

3. DrTardis

DrTardis Member

Thanks for the reply CatFreak. I have nothing else running. Every last thing is closed on the PC apart from the back-up program (CloneDVD or DVD2One)

I've had another look at the original disc and there are 2 titles both exactly the same length. I'm guessing this is something to do with angles?!?

Although the back-ups I've made fail to play on either of my DVD players or Xbox, they play fine on my PC.

The plot thickens...

4. DrTardis

DrTardis Member

Sorry to reply to my own thread again.

I downloaded DVDShrink last night to give that a try. And much to my surprise the copy I made worked a treat. Strange that a free program worked but the ones I've bought failed!

5. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter are the BEST freeware programs available ... It's not really worth buying a commercial program, because they will backup 99.9% of the discs out there ... If they can't do it, just buy a backup ... It'll still be cheaper than buying another program ...