1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Troy

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by bug7, Jan 4, 2005.

1. bug7

bug7 Member

I got used DVD shrink for a while (which works excellent)but I saw recently for long movies like Troy (only one title like Title 5)still a problem with the compresion.Even if you keep only English subtitle and AC3 for Audio the compresion stay around 58% which is way too low for good watching (entire movie).So you can burn the movie on the blank size 4.35 but the end on the movie can not be watched (are secvential frames rerad by dvd player).
    The only Option what comes is to break the movie on two discks.So Question is:
    What software can do that after I ripped the original movie with DVD Shrink and saved the files on the HDD.
    Thank

bug7

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Have you tried to Re-author? Just rip the movie by itself with only 5.1 english. No need for any subtitles. Choose deep analyzation and use the "Compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation" option with "Sharp(default)".

3. gmovie69

gmovie69 Guest

hey, i did troy a few weeks ago with shrink, i had no problems with it at all, maybe it could be the disc

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2005
  4. blimpe

blimpe Guest

I just made a backup of Troy and watched it last night looks great.

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello bug7,I did that one while i slept.Region 1. Let shrink autocompress to my target of 4300 mbs.Entire movie with all enhancements and 2x burn speed. Watching it right now, no skips,pauses, or any other flaws. Mcc 003 media on this one...No skips,pauses,jumps and perfect with the high quality media.

Different software may not help if you are burning cheap media.Even if you are using decent media,something about that disc that your stand alone player doesn't like.

Try another copy with a 4300 mb target and slow burn speed.. Those discs probably have uneven dye on the outside, slower burn speed on poor media usually helps it. Stand alone dvd players will magnify the problems of using poor quality media.

6. derryl

derryl Member

When I try to backup the movie "Troy" I start up DVD Shrink3.2 and begin the analysis at about 63% I get the error" DVD Shrink has encountered an error & can't continue. Failed to read file "D:\" Overlapped I/O operation is in progress"

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

7. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

I've read The current post so far has any0ne did a complete troy using shrink & or decrypter? if so how? I tried it with shrink and the last part of the movie is'nt there . should I just do the main movie and be happy - ScuBa -Meister Pete Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol -peace

8. sakmd

sakmd Member

BigToxy69...

I was having some minor problems w/ Troy as well. Initially, I had used Shrink (and then burn w/ Nero) to copy Troy onto a Verbatim DVD+R DL disc. The print was exceptional, however, I had some minor issues - 1) No background audio on the DVD menu. Not sure why this happened..and 2) For some reason I couldn't navigate on the scene select screen. I also had a minor problem w/ a freeze near the end of the movie, but I had placed a label on the DVD and think that may have caused the freeze. Not 100% sure since I didn't try playing it before placing the label. I did use a second DL disc to see if not having a label would correct the issues I had, but the issues were still there (audio prob and scene select prob...I didn't go though the movie to see if it still froze anywhere). I was a little p'od b/c I just wasted another DL disc.

Now, to answer your question...I went back and used a 4.7 Sony DVD-R. This time I used Decrypter to create an ISO file. Then went to Shrink to compress the enitire feature, incl extras, etc. The only thing I removed was the French audio track. I set disc space to 4360 and used a quality setting of Maximum Smoothness. Once Shrink was done, I went back to Decrypter and used the ISO write mode to write the DVD and set the write speed at 2.4x. I have just finished going through the entire movie and it looks great...and all my issues I had before were nonexistent. This time around I had audio on the DVD menu and I could navigate in the scene selection screen. I would have really like to try this method again, but this time using another DL disc, but don't want to risk ending up w/ another dud, esp considering how much these things cost. Besides, the copy I just came out w/ looks great, and was acutally quite impressed. So perhaps you can try what I did...use Decrypter to creat an ISO file, compress in Shrink, and then burn back in Decrypter. Hope this helps! Let us know how you decide to proceed and how it turns out!

9. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

sakmd - tHANX I will Try your approach The single layer sisc version . DVDR+DL media is to expensive right now to experiment with and I think I will make a RW test burn first to try it out and avoid making another coaster ! Then do the final burn when the RW disc comes out OKAY! - again thanx and HApppy 2005

10. sakmd

sakmd Member

Bigtoxy69...

True, cost prohibits 'experimenting' with DL discs, yet for whatever reason I felt compelled to do so. I've used 4 DL discs thus far. Two came out well w/ no problems and then I wasted two on Troy...ugh! Wasn't too happy w/ that. I'm not sure when these DL discs will come down in price, but I suspect it won't be anytime soon.

I should make one correction....I had written that I used Decrypter to create an ISO file. Actually, I used Decrypter to rip the files off of the DVD by selecting Mode --> File. It is acutally in Shrink that I created the ISO file. When you click 'Backup' in the box that pops up, in the drop down menu under 'Select Backup Target' select 'ISO image file' Then used Decrypter to burn this ISO file by selecting Mode --}ISO-->Write (W)

You may have known this, but I just wanted to correct what I had written...best of luck...and happy 2005 to you as well!

11. na_tra

na_tra Member

Bug7:
    I used DVDXCopy Plat. with upgrade and it worked fine for me. I also tried SuperDVDCopy, then DVD2One, then burned it with Nero 6. Came out perfect. Like someone in here said maybe the original disc or your own disc has problem.

12. d-rock

d-rock Guest

I backed up my original copy of Troy using DVDShrink with no problems. I reauthored the disc, copying only the main movie. Since the movie was so long, I split it onto two discs using DVDShrink chapter selection tool. I prefer splitting a movie onto two discs rather than shrinking so I lose no quality, and I don't want any menus or extras anyway.

13. RedAnt

RedAnt Regular member

Just like the post befor me I reauthored (movie Only),
    I only used English audio. Had no probles at all.

14. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

SAKMD My friend I did it your way (TROY) and the dvd-rw test burn came out fine it actually made it completely to the end so I burned A DVD-r TDK 8x copy of it permanent stylee! Again thank you SAKMD for you insight into this problem & everso much for your help ! A Gigantic thumbs up to you & all the Great afterdawn .com Community ! you 're all the best people! To paraphrase a line from TROY (LEt it be said they walked with giants) Mental ones atleast . As I said Thanx Again my friend and May your Robots Dream of Electronic sheep! LOL!!!!!!!!!!! Peace

15. sakmd

sakmd Member

bigtoxy69....

hey man, no problem at all...i'm happy to hear that it worked out well for you! and thanks very much for the kind words! :)

16. LivnLegnd

LivnLegnd Member

thanks d-rock, I am going to do the same thing.

17. Bekosha

Bekosha Member

I happen to use DVDXcopy platinum on Troy. Came out excellent =) I love this site!!

18. AlaTide

AlaTide Member

I just made a copy of Resident Evil Apocalypse and it is running great!!

19. d-rock

d-rock Guest

AlaTide, how did you do it exactly? (I'm getting ready to try it myself!)